Induced charge on conductors

In summary, In this solution, the charge on sphere B will be redistributed in order to maintain the same potential at the surface of sphere A. This is done by calculating the potential due to the electric fields in the various regions, and neglecting the potential due to the outermost shell.
RodolfoM
Homework Statement
In the following figure, there is a massive sphere A, concentrical to the spherical shells B and C. The spherical shell B has a positive net charge ##q_B##, while C is neutral and the sphere A is connected to the ground through a thin wire, with neglectable capacitance, which doesn't touch the shells B and C. You should find:
a) The induced charges on the surfaces of the sphere A and the shells B and C.
b) The new charge of the sphere A after the shell C becomes grounded.
Relevant Equations
Gauss's law:
##\oint E dA=Q_{enc}/\varepsilon##
Poisson's Equation.
question.jpg

My first attempt at solving this was to calculate the induced charge in A by making ##V=0##:
##\frac{q_{A}}{4πεR_{1}}+\frac{q_{B}}{4πεR_{3}}=0##
##q_{A}=-q_{B}\frac{R_{1}}{R_{3}}##

But that's not the answer. Any help is welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
I first thought you might have it correct, but then I see where your method neglects charge that gets induced on the inner surface and outer surface of the B shell. Once you take account of that and compute ##V=-\int E \cdot ds ## for the stretch from ## R_2 ## to ## R_1 ## you will get a different answer.

Likes RodolfoM
Charles Link said:
I first thought you might have it correct, but then I see where your method neglects charge that gets induced on the inner surface and outer surface of the B shell. Once you take account of that and compute ##V=-\int E \cdot ds ## for the stretch from ## R_2 ## to ## R_1 ## you will get a different answer.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this problem. What do you think about the following solution?
  • There will be a redistribution of the charge on sphere B, let's name ##q_{B_{3}}## the outer charge (radius ##R_{3}##) and ##q_{B_{2}}## the inner charge (radius ##R_{2}##).
  • The inside sphere A will have an induced charge ##q_{A}##.
  • There should be no eletric field inside the sphere shell B, therefore we have ##q_{B_{2}}=-q_{A}##, because a Gaussian surface drawn inside the shell should give us ##q_{enc}=0##, according to Gauss's Law.
  • The net charge of shell B will be the same: ##q_{B_{2}}+q_{B_{3}}=q_{B}##.
  • The potencial at the surface of sphere A is zero, therefore ##\frac{Kq_{A}}{R_{1}}+\frac{Kq_{B_{2}}}{R_{2}}+\frac{Kq_{B_{3}}}{R_{3}}=0##
That gives us the following system:
##\begin{cases}\frac{q_{A}}{R_{1}}+\frac{q_{B_{2}}}{R_{2}}+\frac{q_{B_{3}}}{R_{3}}=0\\q_{B_{2}}=-q_{A}\\q_{B_{2}}+q_{B_{3}}=q_{B} \end{cases}##

Solving for ##q_{A}##, we have
##q_{A}=\frac{-q_{B}}{1+\frac{R_{3}(R_{2}-R_{1})}{R_{1}R_{2}}}##

In the original exercise, the values are ##q_{B}=4.0\mu C, R_{1}=10 cm, R_{2}=20 cm## and ##R_{3}=40 cm##, that would result in ##q_{A}=-4/3 \mu C##. Do you think this reasoning makes sense?

Likes Charles Link
RodolfoM said:
  • The potencial at the surface of sphere A is zero, therefore ##\frac{Kq_{A}}{R_{1}}+\frac{Kq_{B_{2}}}{R_{2}}+\frac{Kq_{B_{3}}}{R_{3}}=0##
That neglects the potential due to the outermost shell.

Likes Charles Link
RodolfoM said:
The potencial at the surface of sphere A is zero, therefore KqAR1+KqB2R2+KqB3R3=0
I think this expression is correct. I worked it by computing potentials from the electric fields in the various regions, and unless I missed something, I got an identical answer. I looked over most of your solution, and it looks right to me. I haven't yet gone over it real meticulously. Edit: My statements here are incorrect. See posts 6 and 7.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
I think this expression is correct. I worked it by computing potentials from the electric fields in the various regions, and unless I missed something, I got an identical answer. I looked over most of your solution, and it looks right to me. I haven't yet gone over it real meticulously.
You don't think the outermost shell is relevant?

Likes Charles Link
haruspex said:
You don't think the outermost shell is relevant?
Thank you @haruspex . I think you may be right. I ignored it in my solution, and my result may be in error. The computation of the surface charges on the outer shell is straightforward, and yes, they will affect the result.

Last edited:
RodolfoM said:
In the original exercise, the values are qB=4.0μC,R1=10cm,R2=20cmqB=4.0μC,R1=10cm,R2=20cmq_{B}=4.0\mu C, R_{1}=10 cm, R_{2}=20 cm and R3=40cmR3=40cmR_{3}=40 cm, that would result in qA=−4/3μCqA=−4/3μCq_{A}=-4/3 \mu C. Do you think this reasoning makes sense?

I think that if the outermost shell is not grounded, the answer should depend on R1, R2, R3, R4, and R5; on the other hand, if the outermost shell is grounded, the answer should only depend on R1, R2, R3, and R4.

The charge on shell B will be redistributed on its inner and outer surfaces, and their ratio should be related to R1, R2, R3, R4 ...

Imagine that if the outermost shell is not grounded and R4 is very close to R3, then almost all the charge should be distributed on the outer surface of shell B, because the capacitance of R3-R4 is much larger than that of R2-R1.

Likes Charles Link
alan123hk said:
I think that if the outermost shell is not grounded, the answer should depend on R1, R2, R3, R4, and R5; on the other hand, if the outermost shell is grounded, the answer should only depend on R1, R2, R3, and R4.

The charge on shell B will be redistributed on its inner and outer surfaces, and their ratio should be related to R1, R2, R3, R4 ...

Imagine that if the outermost shell is not grounded and R4 is very close to R3, then almost all the charge should be distributed on the outer surface of shell B, because the capacitance of R3-R4 is much larger than that of R2-R1.
Perhaps, but is all that borne out by equations?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Perhaps, but how about some equations?
Hopefully the OP returns and shows us what he came up with.

Charles Link said:
Hopefully the OP returns and shows us what he came up with.
Thanks for the hint that I was not replying to the OP. Post edited.

Likes Charles Link
I would start with ##V_C## and work my way towards ##V_A##, integrarung E fields along the way, yielding ##q_A##.

Likes Charles Link
haruspex said:
Perhaps, but is all that borne out by equations?

I think from an engineering perspective, the easiest way to solve this problem is to use the concept of capacitance.

By applying Gauss's law to a charged conductive sphere, the capacitance between the spheres can be obtained effortlessly.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capsph.html

Assuming that the outermost shell C is grounded, since the sphere A is also grounded, the entire structure can be regarded as two capacitors Ccb and Cba connected in parallel.

Ccb also represents the capacitance between outermost shell C and shell B
Cba
also represents the capacitance between shell B and sphere A

Thus the equations are : -

Vb Ccb = Qb(outer surface)
Vb Cba = Qb(inner surface)
Qb = Qb(outer surface) + Qb(inner surface)

Ccb
, Cba and Qb are known
Vb, Qb(outer surface) and Qb(inner surface) are unknown

For the case where the outermost shell C is not grounded, we can solve the problem in a similar manner.

alan123hk said:
Vb Ccb = Qb(outer surface)
I think ##(V_B - V_C)C_{cb} = Q_{b~ outer~ surface} ##

rude man said:
I think ##(V_B - V_C)C_{cb} = Q_{b~ outer~ surface} ##

Yes, the general form should be (Vb−Vc)Ccb=Qb(outer surface)

Questions in the original post
a) The induced charges on the surfaces of the sphere A and the shells B and C.
b) The new charge of the sphere A after the shell C becomes grounded.

I just assume Vc=0 to fulfill the condition of question b), also Qa should be equal to -Qb(inner surface).

By applying the general form (Vb−Vc)Ccb=Qb(outer surface), we can solve a similar system of equations for any voltage of Vc.

Last edited:

What is induced charge on conductors?

Induced charge on conductors refers to the redistribution of electric charges on a conductor due to the presence of an external electric field.

How is induced charge on conductors different from static charge?

Induced charge on conductors is temporary and only occurs when an external electric field is present. Static charge, on the other hand, is a permanent buildup of charge on a surface.

What factors affect the amount of induced charge on conductors?

The amount of induced charge on conductors is affected by the strength of the external electric field, the size and shape of the conductor, and the material of the conductor.

Can induced charge on conductors be controlled?

Yes, the amount and distribution of induced charge on conductors can be controlled by manipulating the external electric field or by grounding the conductor.

What are some practical applications of induced charge on conductors?

Induced charge on conductors is used in various technologies such as electrostatic precipitators, Van de Graaff generators, and capacitors. It is also important in understanding the behavior of lightning and how to protect against it.