Induced current in a square coil by a current-carrying wire

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's explanation of their thinking behind a problem. They assumed an area between a wire and the left side of a coil, with a -z field, and noticed that the flux generated must be cancelled by a +z field on the right side of the wire. They also discussed the remaining area to the right of the coil, where a decreasing +z field contributes to the total flux of the coil and creates an induced EMF and current in the counter-clockwise direction. The other person confirmed that the analysis was correct.
greg_rack
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Consider the situation below.
The wire carries a current ##I(t)## decreasing with time, in the direction ##-\hat{y}##. In which direction is the induced current moving in the conductive square coil?
Relevant Equations
Faraday-Neumann-Lenz's law
IMG_1245.jpg
I'll try to explain to you my thinking behind this problem... tell me if it's correct or not.
In short, I have assumed the area enclosed between the wire and the left side of the coil to be ##A## in which is present a ##-\hat{z}## field, and noticed that the flux it generates must be canceled by that in the ##+\hat{z}## direction present immediately at the right of the wire, enclosed in the same ##A## area.
Now, all we are "left" with, is the area to the very right of the coil, with a ##+\hat{z}## decreasing(since ##I## is decreasing) field which contributes to the total flux of the coil; for FNL's law, this will create an induced EMF and hence a current in the counter-clockwise direction.

Am I correct?

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's correct. Your analysis is very good.

• Love
Likes greg_rack and berkeman
TSny said:
Yes, that's correct. Your analysis is very good.
That's great, thank you very much!

Likes berkeman

1. How does a current-carrying wire induce a current in a square coil?

When a current-carrying wire is placed near a square coil, the changing magnetic field created by the wire induces a current in the coil. This is due to Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electromotive force (EMF) in a nearby conductor.

2. What factors affect the strength of the induced current in a square coil?

The strength of the induced current in a square coil is affected by the strength of the current in the wire, the distance between the wire and the coil, and the number of turns in the coil. A stronger current, closer distance, and more turns will result in a stronger induced current.

3. How can the direction of the induced current be determined in a square coil?

The direction of the induced current in a square coil can be determined using Lenz's law. This law states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic field that produced it. The right-hand rule can also be used to determine the direction of the induced current.

4. What is the purpose of using a square coil in this experiment?

A square coil is used in this experiment because it allows for a more uniform distribution of the induced current. The square shape ensures that all sides of the coil are equally affected by the changing magnetic field, resulting in a more accurate measurement of the induced current.

5. How is the induced current in a square coil related to the magnetic field strength of the current-carrying wire?

The induced current in a square coil is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field created by the current-carrying wire. This means that as the magnetic field strength increases, the induced current in the coil will also increase. This relationship is described by Faraday's law of induction.