Induced Magnetism: Determining Magnetic Poles

In summary, the conversation discusses induced magnetism and how a magnetic material can become magnetized under the influence of a magnetic field. The speaker is confused about why the induced magnet has an opposite pole in the center and two of the same poles on the ends. They mention seeing this in a textbook without explanation and ask for clarification. Another person questions the validity of this information and asks for a picture.
harvey1999
I have been trying to search for answers on the Internet, but to no avail.
For induced magnetism, i understand that a magnetic material can turn into an induced magnet under the influence of a magnetic field. However, i do not understand how to magnetic poles are determined.

Suppose a perm magnet arranged as SN. a magnetic material is placed to its right. Why is the induced S pole at the centre with 2 N pole on the ends of the material?
Shouldn't the induced magnet have a N on the left side and S on the right side? Why is the N at the centre? I can't find a diagram sorry

Physics news on Phys.org
harvey1999 said:
Suppose a perm magnet arranged as SN. a magnetic material is placed to its right. Why is the induced S pole at the centre with 2 N pole on the ends of the material?
Where did you read this?

cnh1995 said:
Where did you read this?
it's shown in my textbook without explanation, so I'm quite confused.

harvey1999 said:
it's shown in my textbook without explanation, so I'm quite confused.
That doesn't look right. If this was the case, the field lines inside the material would not be unidirectional.
Can you upload the picture? You can take photo of it and post it here using the upload button below the editor space.

1. What is induced magnetism?

Induced magnetism refers to the process by which a material becomes magnetized due to the influence of an external magnetic field. This can occur when a ferromagnetic material is brought near a magnet or when a current-carrying wire is placed within a magnetic field.

2. How is induced magnetism different from permanent magnetism?

Induced magnetism is temporary and can be reversed, while permanent magnetism is long-lasting and cannot be easily reversed. Induced magnetism occurs when an external magnetic field is present, while permanent magnetism is inherent to certain materials.

3. How can I determine the magnetic poles of an induced magnet?

The magnetic poles of an induced magnet can be determined by observing how the magnet aligns with an external magnetic field. The end of the magnet that points towards the north pole of the external field is considered the north pole of the induced magnet, and the end that points towards the south pole is considered the south pole.

4. Can any material be induced to become magnetic?

No, only certain materials, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt, can be induced to become magnetic. These materials are known as ferromagnetic materials and have special properties that allow them to be magnetized.

5. What are some real-world applications of induced magnetism?

Induced magnetism has many practical applications, including in magnetic sensors, electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in technologies such as MRI machines, speakers, and credit/debit card readers.