Induced Metric Help: Troubleshooting Extrinsic Curvature (12)

In summary, the paper discusses the calculation of extrinsic curvature (12) and its components, specifically the induced metric h_{ab} in (8) and the \sigma term in (12). The induced metric h_{ab} is the metric of the hypersurface defined by the coordinates (x,y,z) in (4). The \sigma term is the trace of the extrinsic curvature tensor. The {m(a)/a}' term in (11) represents the derivative of the mass function m(a) with respect to the scale factor a and is used to calculate (13), the time derivative of the extrinsic curvature. The paper suggests referring to the definitions and equations in "On the mass function and the extrinsic curvature in general
thatboi
I am having trouble calculating the extrinsic curvature (12) in the following paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0310107.pdf
Specifically, I am unsure of what term to plug in for the induced metric h_{ab} in (8). If I am calculating the \sigma term in (12) is h_{ab} all of (4)?
Also I would like assistance in knowing what the {m(a)/a}' term means in (11) because I cannot get (13) either...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your calculations. I understand your confusion with the terms in the paper. Let me try to explain them to you.

Firstly, in order to calculate the extrinsic curvature (12), you need to use the induced metric h_{ab} in (8). This metric represents the geometry of a 3-dimensional hypersurface embedded in a 4-dimensional spacetime. In this case, h_{ab} is the metric of the hypersurface defined by the coordinates (x,y,z) in (4). So, you can plug in the values of (4) for h_{ab}.

Moving on to the \sigma term in (12), it is defined as the trace of the extrinsic curvature. In other words, it is the sum of the diagonal elements of the extrinsic curvature tensor. So, once you have calculated the extrinsic curvature using (12), you can simply take the trace of the tensor to get the \sigma term.

Now, for the {m(a)/a}' term in (11), it represents the derivative of the mass function m(a) with respect to the scale factor a. This term is used to calculate (13), which is the time derivative of the extrinsic curvature. In order to understand this term better, I would suggest referring to the definitions and equations in the paper "On the mass function and the extrinsic curvature in general relativity" by B. Dittrich.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Please let me know if you need further assistance with your calculations. Best of luck with your research!

1. What is an induced metric?

An induced metric is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe the intrinsic geometry of a surface or manifold. It is defined as the metric tensor induced by the embedding of a lower-dimensional manifold into a higher-dimensional one.

2. How is an induced metric related to extrinsic curvature?

The induced metric and extrinsic curvature are closely related concepts. The induced metric determines the intrinsic geometry of a surface, while the extrinsic curvature describes how the surface is curved within the higher-dimensional space in which it is embedded.

3. What is the significance of troubleshooting extrinsic curvature?

Troubleshooting extrinsic curvature is important for understanding the behavior of surfaces or manifolds within a higher-dimensional space. It can help identify any discrepancies or errors in the mathematical calculations and provide insights into the underlying geometry of the system.

4. What are some common issues encountered when working with induced metric and extrinsic curvature?

One common issue is the inconsistency between the induced metric and extrinsic curvature, which can lead to incorrect calculations and interpretations. Another issue is the singularity or non-differentiability of the induced metric, which can cause problems in certain mathematical operations.

5. How can one troubleshoot issues with induced metric and extrinsic curvature?

To troubleshoot issues with induced metric and extrinsic curvature, one can carefully review the mathematical calculations and check for any errors or inconsistencies. It can also be helpful to consult with other experts in the field or use numerical methods to verify the results. In some cases, it may be necessary to adjust the parameters or assumptions used in the calculations to obtain more accurate results.