Induced voltage difference in a magnetic field

In summary, the person is seeking help with an electrodynamics problem and is considering using Faraday's Law of Induction for part (a) but is unsure if the answer would be zero due to the constant B-field. They also mention Lenz's law but are unsure how to approach it. They are also reminded to include more information and given a tip for using LaTeX.
waazwag
Homework Statement
(a) If the magnetic field $B$ is constant with respect to time, what is an expression for the induced voltage between the two ends of the rods? Moreover, which end of the rod is at higher voltage (the part that's rotating, or the point that's fixed) and in which direction do the electrons flow? Assume $B$ points out of the page, and the rod is rotating counterclockwise.

(b) Now suppose a conducting ring is added. The end of the rotating rod is always in contact with it. How do the answers in the preceding part change?

(c) Repeat the first part but now assume the magnetic field is time-dependent. Say it takes the form $B(t) = B_0 \sin(\omega_0 t)$ where $\omega_0$ is much smaller than $\omega$ so that the field oscillates in and out of the page.
Relevant Equations
Lenz's Law, Faraday's Law
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on the problem listed above.

I'm pretty new to electrodynamics, and I'm learning on my own through a book. I was wondering if someone can please help me through this problem. Here are my thoughts:I think I need to use Faraday's Law of Induction for part (a), which says the induced EMF is $-d\Phi_{B}/dt$. However, since the B-field is constant with respect to time (and $\Phi_{B} = \vec{B} \cdot \vec{A})$, would this just mean that the answer to the first part of part (a) is zero? I'm not entirely sure which part has a higher voltage due to my previous answer. I think that the last part of this problem involves Lenz's law, but I'm not too sure about how to approach this either.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @waazwag, :welcome: !

waazwag said:
I'm currently working on the problem listed above.
Yes, of course. But is the problem statement complete ? E.g.: what rods ? Moving or stationary w.r.t. ##\vec B ## ?

Tip: enclose ##\LaTeX## in double ## for in-line and in double $$ for displayed math

1. What is induced voltage difference in a magnetic field?

Induced voltage difference in a magnetic field, also known as electromagnetic induction, is the process by which a changing magnetic field produces an electric current in a conductor.

2. How is induced voltage difference measured?

Induced voltage difference is measured in volts (V) and can be calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the magnitude of the induced voltage is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through a conductor.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced voltage difference?

The magnitude of induced voltage difference depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of the magnetic field, and the orientation of the conductor with respect to the magnetic field.

4. Can induced voltage difference be manipulated?

Yes, induced voltage difference can be manipulated by changing the strength or direction of the magnetic field, or by altering the speed at which the magnetic field changes.

5. What are some real-world applications of induced voltage difference?

Induced voltage difference has many practical applications, including power generation in generators, operation of electric motors, and wireless charging of electronic devices.