Inductance Formulas Homework: Find Emf & Time to Drop Below 1.25mV

To find the induced emf at t=0.005, you need to plug in t=0.005 in the original function, not the derivative. This gives a value of 0.0004075 V. To find when the emf drops below 1.25 mV, you need to set the function equal to 0.00125 and solve for t. This gives a value of about 0.00875 s. In summary, the induced emf across a 4.70 mH inductor decays over time according to the function I(t) = (.943A) e-(396 s-1) t). To find the induced emf at t=0.005, the original function
r_swayze

Homework Statement

The current in a 4.70 mH inductor decays over time according to the following function, where t is in seconds.

I(t) = (.943A) e-(396 s-1) t)

(a) What is the induced emf across the inductor at t= 5.00 ms? (b) How long does it take the emf to drop below 1.25 mV?

The Attempt at a Solution

Since emf = -L(dI/dt) , I can take the derivative of the function above and plug in t=.005, right?

I' = (.943A) e-(396 s-1) t) (-1/396s)

Plug in t=.005 and I get I' = -.00238

emf = -L(dI/dt)

emf = -(.0047)(-.00238) = 1.119x10-5

I tried this answer but it was incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not taken into account the term e^-396*t.

Related to Inductance Formulas Homework: Find Emf & Time to Drop Below 1.25mV

1. What is inductance and why is it important in electromagnetics?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes how an electric current creates a magnetic field in the circuit. It is important in electromagnetics because it allows for the transfer of energy between electrical and magnetic fields, which is essential in many electronic devices.

2. What is EMF and how is it related to inductance?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the voltage generated by a changing magnetic field in a circuit. It is related to inductance because inductance is a key factor in determining the magnitude of the EMF generated in a circuit.

3. How do you calculate the EMF in an inductive circuit?

The EMF in an inductive circuit can be calculated using the formula EMF = -L * dI/dt, where L is the inductance of the circuit and dI/dt is the rate of change of current over time.

4. How do you find the time it takes for the EMF to drop below a certain voltage in an inductive circuit?

The time it takes for the EMF to drop below a certain voltage in an inductive circuit can be calculated using the formula t = (1.25mV - EMF) * L / -dI/dt, where L is the inductance of the circuit, EMF is the initial EMF, and dI/dt is the rate of change of current over time.

5. What factors affect the inductance of a circuit?

The inductance of a circuit is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the size and shape of the coil, the type of material used in the coil, and the presence of any nearby magnetic fields. It also increases with the strength of the current flowing through the circuit.