Induction Heating: Calculating Magnetic Field from Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where a ferrous material rod is placed inside a solenoid to measure its temperature due to induction heating. The aim is to calculate the magnetic field using the temperature of the rod, but calculating the rate of heat generation and heat loss to the surroundings may be difficult. It is suggested to measure the rate of temperature rise or heat transfer instead of the final temperature. The Calendar and Barnes equipment used in A level physics is also mentioned as a possible method.
Ruturaj Vaidya
Hi everyone, I'm conducting an experiment where I place a ferrous material rod inside a solenoid to measure it's temperature due to induction heating, as shown in the video below:

The aim of my experiment is to calculate the magnetic field from the temperature of the ferrous material rod. Is there a formula that links the two together? (Temperature due to induction heating and magnetic field)

Science news on Phys.org
Calculating the rate of heat generation in the rod is probably possible (depending on how complex the temperature dependence of the magnetic properties of the rod is), but the calculation of radiative and convective heat loss rate to the surroundings is likely to be a difficult problem. Both rates affect the steady state temperature the metal reaches.

Ruturaj Vaidya said:
Hi everyone, I'm conducting an experiment where I place a ferrous material rod inside a solenoid to measure it's temperature due to induction heating, as shown in the video below:

The aim of my experiment is to calculate the magnetic field from the temperature of the ferrous material rod. Is there a formula that links the two together? (Temperature due to induction heating and magnetic field)

You might stand a better chance of measuring the rate of temperature rise or the rate of heat transfer, rather than the final temperature. I was thinking along the lines of the Calendar and Barnes equipment we used in A level physics at School.

1. What is induction heating and how does it work?

Induction heating is a method of heating an electrically conductive material using electromagnetic induction. It works by passing an alternating current through an inductor, which creates a fluctuating magnetic field. This magnetic field induces eddy currents in the material being heated, which in turn causes resistive heating and raises the temperature of the material.

2. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in induction heating?

The strength of the magnetic field in induction heating is affected by the frequency and strength of the alternating current, the size and shape of the inductor, and the electrical conductivity and magnetic permeability of the material being heated.

3. How is the magnetic field strength calculated from the temperature in induction heating?

The magnetic field strength can be calculated using the relationship between temperature and electrical conductivity for the material being heated. By measuring the change in temperature and the corresponding change in electrical conductivity, the magnetic field strength can be determined using mathematical formulas.

4. What are the applications of induction heating?

Induction heating is commonly used in industrial processes such as metal melting, forging, and heat treating. It is also used in household appliances like induction cooktops and in medical equipment for procedures like cauterization and diathermy.

5. Are there any safety concerns with induction heating?

Induction heating can be dangerous if not used properly, as it involves high temperatures and strong magnetic fields. Precautions should be taken to prevent accidental contact with the heated material and to shield against electromagnetic interference. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use appropriate protective equipment when working with induction heating.