How Do You Calculate Frequency and Power for an Induction Heater?

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on how to determine the power and frequency needed for an Induction heater in order to heat a graphite rod to 1200 degC and provide a heat flux of 1 MW/m2. The rod dimensions in question are Dia 5 and length 100 mm, and Dia 50 and length 100 mm. They are also seeking advice on how to calculate the losses to ambient and the duration of heating. A helpful resource for this could be the Induction Heating Calculation Tool provided by UltraFlex Power.
Jhon Paul
I would like to get a clue of how to arrive at the power and frequency for an Induction heater. I am planning to heat a graphite rod upto 1200 degC and also to provide a heat flux of 1 MW/m2. The graphite rod dimension will be for one case Dia 5 and length 100 mm and in the second case will be Dia 50 and length 100 mm.

My queery is how to arrive at the frequency and power of the Induction power system. Any help will be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jhon Paul said:
I would like to get a clue of how to arrive at the power and frequency for an Induction heater. I am planning to heat a graphite rod upto 1200 degC and also to provide a heat flux of 1 MW/m2. The graphite rod dimension will be for one case Dia 5 and length 100 mm and in the second case will be Dia 50 and length 100 mm.

My queery is how to arrive at the frequency and power of the Induction power system. Any help will be appreciated.
What have you found so far in your reading on this subject? Can you post links to some of your reading, and ask specific questions about that reading? :smile:

Likes Babadag and NascentOxygen

Related to How Do You Calculate Frequency and Power for an Induction Heater?

1. How does induction heating work?

Induction heating is a process in which an alternating electrical current is passed through a conductive material, generating a magnetic field. This magnetic field induces eddy currents in the material, which then causes it to heat up due to resistance.

2. What factors affect induction heating calculations?

The main factors that affect induction heating calculations include the frequency and magnitude of the current, the electrical conductivity and magnetic permeability of the material, and the geometry and size of the heating coil.

3. How do I calculate the heating time for a specific material?

To calculate the heating time for a specific material, you will need to know its electrical resistivity, specific heat capacity, and initial and desired final temperatures. These values can be used in the appropriate equation to determine the required heating time.

4. What is the difference between single and multi-turn heating coils?

A single-turn heating coil is a simple, circular loop of wire, while a multi-turn heating coil has multiple loops or turns. Multi-turn coils are more efficient for heating larger volumes of material, while single-turn coils are better for smaller or more precise applications.

5. Can induction heating calculations be used for all types of materials?

Induction heating calculations can be used for most conductive materials, including metals and some non-metals. However, the effectiveness of induction heating may vary depending on the electrical and magnetic properties of the material.