Induction Proof: Sum of Series $ \frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)} = \frac{1}{2}$

In summary, the conversation revolved around using induction to prove the sum of a series, specifically $ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)} $, which was eventually solved by finding a partial sum formula of $ \frac{n}{2n+1}$.
ognik
Q. Show by induction that $ \sum_{1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)} = \frac{1}{2} $

So, start with base case n=1, $ S_1 = \frac{1}{(2-1)(2+1)} = \frac{1}{3}$? Maybe it's bedtime ...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think (if forced to use induction rather than partial fractions and telescoping series) what I would do is begin with the partial sum formula:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\frac{1}{(2k+1)(2k-1)}=\frac{n}{2n+1}\)

Now prove that by induction, and then take the limit as $n\to\infty$ to get the desired result. :)

Sorry, suspect I know how to get the partial sum but can't bring it to mind, the terms would be $ \frac{1}{3}, \frac{1}{15},\frac{1}{35}, \frac{1}{63},... $ I can see your sum is right, but not how to get it ...

ognik said:
Sorry, suspect I know how to get the partial sum but can't bring it to mind, the terms would be $ \frac{1}{3}, \frac{1}{15},\frac{1}{35}, \frac{1}{63},... $ I can see your sum is right, but not how to get it ...

Okay, given that you have verified the base case, then we state $P_n$:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\frac{1}{(2k+1)(2k-1)}=\frac{n}{2n+1}\)

Now, for our induction step, I would look at the difference:

\(\displaystyle \frac{n+1}{2(n+1)+1}-\frac{n}{2n+1}=\frac{1}{(2(n+1)+1)(2(n+1)-1)}\)

Can you proceed?

Hi - what I'm missing is how you got to $ \frac{n}{2n+1} $ - as far as I can see its neither arithmetic nor geometric series, and I couldn't see how to get $ \frac{n}{2n+1} $ by inspection either? Once I have that 1st step, I know the rest :-)

ognik said:
Hi - what I'm missing is how you got to $ \frac{n}{2n+1} $ - as far as I can see its neither arithmetic nor geometric series, and I couldn't see how to get $ \frac{n}{2n+1} $ by inspection either? Once I have that 1st step, I know the rest :-)

It was a hypothesis (which I confirmed before posting it) based on the first several sums. :)

Suppose that comes with experience... Next question is that the book said $ = \frac{1}{2}$ but the partial sum (and testing the 1st partial sum in the original formula) seems to get \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\)?

ognik said:
Suppose that comes with experience... Next question is that the book said $ = \frac{1}{2}$ but the partial sum (and testing the 1st partial sum in the original formula) seems to get \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\)?

Once you have proved:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{k=1}^n\frac{1}{(2k+1)(2k-1)}=\frac{n}{2n+1}\)

Then, use:

\(\displaystyle S_{\infty}=\lim_{n\to\infty}\left(\frac{n}{2n+1}\right)\)

What do you get?

Hi - it all looked crystal clear in the morning :-) Thanks for your patience

For the benefit of anyone who has the predicament of trying to find a partial sum formula for other than geometric & arithmetic series, without using partial fractions, I figured out the following approach.

Start with a row of the first few n values.
Under each n, calculate the corresponding term of the series
Under each n again, find the nth sum by adding the terms from the previous row. A pattern should appear for which you can find a partial sum formula.

Using this post's problem ( $\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}$) as an example, and a matrix structure just for convenience, the above approach gives:

$ \begin{bmatrix}n:&1&2&3&4\\ \frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}:&\frac{1}{3}&\frac{1}{15}&\frac{1}{35}&\frac{1}{63}\\S_n:&\frac{1}{3}&\frac{2}{5}&\frac{3}{7}&\frac{4}{9}\end{bmatrix}$

The pattern for the partial sums is now clear and can be written as $ \frac{n}{2n+1}$

Related to Induction Proof: Sum of Series $ \frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)} = \frac{1}{2}$

What is induction proof?

Induction proof is a mathematical method used to prove a statement or theorem for all natural numbers by showing that it holds true for the first number (usually 1) and then showing that if it holds true for any given number, it also holds true for the next number.

What is the sum of series $\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}$?

The sum of this series is $\frac{1}{2}$.

How do you prove the sum of series $\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)} = \frac{1}{2}$ using induction?

To prove this statement using induction, we must first show that it holds true for the first number, which is 1. Then, we assume that it holds true for any given number k, and use this assumption to show that it also holds true for the next number, k+1. This will prove that the statement holds true for all natural numbers.

Why is induction proof important in mathematics?

Induction proof is important because it allows us to prove statements or theorems that hold true for all natural numbers, without having to test each individual number. It is a more efficient and reliable method of proof.

Can the sum of series $\frac{1}{(2n-1)(2n+1)}$ be proven using other methods besides induction?

Yes, this sum can also be proven using other methods such as geometric series, telescoping series, or partial fractions. However, induction is a common and effective method for proving statements that hold true for all natural numbers.