Inductive Reactance of Solenoid with Solid Metal Core With respect to frquency

StoyanNikolov
TL;DR Summary
inductive Reactance of Solenoid with Solid Metal Core With respect to frquency
Hi. Consider the Solenoid/Inductor Like one the Picture. There is Air gap between the coil and inserted solid metal.

Hi. Consider the Solenoid/Inductor Like one the Picture. There is Air gap between the coil and inserted solid metal. The solid metal is from Aluminum or Copper (Both have relative magnetic permeability , close to 1 regardless of temperature).

What will happen with inductive reactance of the given Solenoid if we increase the frequency of the applied voltage.

Thank you.

1705257519096.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think we need some more information from you about your question. Primarily what is your background knowledge of this sort of thing. Maybe a more detailed question.

For example, do you understand that an ideal inductance value does not depend on frequency, but it's impedance does. Do you know about complex impedances? Are you asking about the frequency dependance of the iron core behavior (permeability, losses, etc.)? Do you know that the impedance of real inductors includes some capacitive effects (between wire turns, for example) and losses?

I can't tell if you question is basic, about ideal component models, or a really difficult question about core material properties.

Khan academy has some good tutorials about basic electronics.
https://www.khanacademy.org/science...charging/v/what-are-inductors-self-inductance

https://www.khanacademy.org/science...-and-forced-response/a/wmc-inductor-in-action

It is basic/general question about inductive reactance about the shown on the Picture Solenoid with Solid Metal Core.

I think the reactance will increase. I am asking just for verification.

Considering Eddy currents

That looks to me to be like an induction furnace, with a charge of non-magnetic metal as the core. The eddy currents in the surface of the core will heat it to the skin depth. The interior of the core will be heated by conduction.

StoyanNikolov said:
Because the effective area of the inductor, is reduced by the conductive, (but non-magnetic core), the inductance will be reduced by the presence of the core relative to air. The dimensions of the core relative to the skin depth will be an important parameter. As the frequency is raised, there will be a small reduction in the inductance.

Baluncore said:
That looks to me to be like an induction furnace, with a charge of non-magnetic metal as the core. The eddy currents in the surface of the core will heat it to the skin depth. The interior of the core will be heated by conduction.Because the effective area of the inductor, is reduced by the conductive, (but non-magnetic core), the inductance will be reduced by the presence of the core relative to air. The dimensions of the core relative to the skin depth will be an important parameter. As the frequency is raised, there will be a small reduction in the inductance.
Thanks. So the Inductive Reactance will Increase as a result of increased Frequency
so

StoyanNikolov said:
Yes, the reactance of an inductor (with constant inductance) increases linearly with frequency.