Industrial project related to structural Integrity and failure

In summary, the beam is failing because of creep, and the solution is to use a screw jack to adjust the gap between the beam and the graphite rods.
MessiJr.

Homework Statement

I am doing my internship at Saint Gobain Glass India, Chennai . I have been allotted a project to work in my time at the company .

The problem is related to failure of an Mild Steel beam supporting graphite structure in the process line . As such this beam is exposed to molten glass flowing beneath at 650 K and the entire structure (MS Beam + Graphite rods ) are at around 10 mm from the glass . The MS Beam is constantly cooled by water lines through it and maintained at around 330 K and leveled timely using a screw jack at both ends whenever the MS beam sags due to its weight and graphite structure and after sometime its failing . They asked me to study more about the problem giving the causes and possible solutions to tackle such problem as the beam is costing about 10 lakhs INR .

Homework Equations

{ DUNNO :( except for the deflections of beams supported at ends and some theory related creep.}

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking the beams are deforming over time permanently due to CREEP .

please can anyone tell e more about the cause of problem...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't my subject but...

If the water cooling keeps the beam at 60C I doubt temperature is a problem. I suspect you might get better answers if you post the dimensions of the beam and the load.

MS Beam Dimensions : 6 m * 200 mm * 140 mm
Load : self weight ( 500 Kg ) + graphite rod-4m ( about 200 Kg )

Mild Steel beam melting point 1400 K, so 330 K is not problem. I think should be consider expand when heated and contract when cooled, also like you said constantly cooled by water lines, but it is very hard to keep 300 K all the time, some times 400 K, some times 250 K. what do you think?

For screw jack, should be used enough load capacity, precision positioning, self locking acme screw jack, or high precision ball screw jack with brake mechanism. Same as worm gear screw jack for rollers gap adjustment, please visit http://www.screw-jack.com/info/application-rolling-mill-roller-adjustment.html

Hope above information is helpful for you.

As a scientist, my initial response to this project would be to gather more information and data about the specific materials and conditions involved. This would include studying the properties and behavior of mild steel and graphite under high temperatures and stress, as well as the effects of cooling and support mechanisms. I would also investigate any previous incidents or failures related to this issue and analyze the root causes.

Based on this information, I would then propose potential solutions such as using alternative materials with higher heat resistance, implementing better cooling and support systems, or redesigning the structure to better withstand the conditions. It would also be important to consider the cost and feasibility of these solutions.

In addition, I would also explore the possibility of conducting laboratory experiments or simulations to better understand the problem and test potential solutions before implementing them in the industrial setting. This would help minimize risks and ensure the effectiveness of the proposed solutions.

Overall, my approach to this project would involve a combination of research, analysis, and experimentation to identify the root causes of the failure and develop effective solutions to address them.

1. What is structural integrity and why is it important in industrial projects?

Structural integrity refers to the ability of a structure to withstand external loads and maintain its shape and stability. In industrial projects, it is crucial to ensure that structures are designed and constructed to withstand the expected loads and avoid any failures that could lead to safety hazards or financial losses.

2. What are some common causes of structural failure in industrial projects?

Some common causes of structural failure include inadequate design or construction, corrosion and deterioration, overloading or unexpected loads, and natural disasters such as earthquakes or hurricanes.

3. How can structural integrity be assessed and monitored in industrial projects?

Structural integrity can be assessed through various methods such as visual inspections, non-destructive testing, and structural analysis using computer simulations. It is also important to continuously monitor structures for any signs of damage or degradation.

4. What are the consequences of structural failure in industrial projects?

The consequences of structural failure in industrial projects can range from minor disruptions to severe consequences such as injuries, fatalities, and damage to equipment or the environment. It can also result in costly repairs, project delays, and damage to a company's reputation.

5. How can structural integrity and failure be prevented in industrial projects?

To prevent structural failure, it is important to follow proper design and construction standards, conduct regular inspections and maintenance, and use high-quality materials. Additionally, it is crucial to consider potential risks and hazards during the design phase and implement appropriate safety measures.