Industrial Wireless: Exploring Networking & Sensors

In summary: That has been a great help! :)Do not use txt speak here. Please type out the words. See the "Rules" link at the top of this page.Thank you turbo-1...That has been a great help! :)
ice03
hello ppl...
I have been give the topic "industrial wireless" to research on and i am really confused about how wireless communication is established in an industry. :confused:

This is with respect to communicating between different sensors to convey information about the working of different equipments like pumps to an operator! How can it be linked to computer networking?? is it wireless sensor network??

Feel free to ask questions about the topic! am all ears!

Any ideas or help will be great!

looking forward to getting response...

cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
ice03 said:
hello ppl...
I have been give the topic "industrial wireless" to research on and i am really confused about how wireless communication is established in an industry. :confused:

This is with respect to communicating between different sensors to convey information about the working of different equipments like pumps to an operator! How can it be linked to computer networking?? is it wireless sensor network??

Feel free to ask questions about the topic! am all ears!

Any ideas or help will be great!

looking forward to getting response...

cheers

Welcome to the PF. Here are some search terms for google or wikipedia or your favorite search engine:

RF Mesh Networking
Zigbee
RF ISM Band

Try those, and see what kinds of questions you end up with.

ice03 said:
hello ppl...
I have been give the topic "industrial wireless" to research on...

Is this for schoolwork?

This will keep you going for a while:

http://www.reliableplant.com/Article.aspx?pagetitle=DOE,%20industry%20create%20new%20generation%20of%20wireless%20sensors&articleid=8799

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. Here are some search terms for google or wikipedia or your favorite search engine:

RF Mesh Networking
Zigbee
RF ISM Band

Try those, and see what kinds of questions you end up with.

Thank you berkeman...

my fav. search engine is google and i will check out your suggestions!

negitron said:
Is this for schoolwork?

I have finished my school ! :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
This will keep you going for a while:

http://www.reliableplant.com/Article.aspx?pagetitle=DOE,%20industry%20create%20new%20generation%20of%20wireless%20sensors&articleid=8799

w8s dis reliableplant site about?? it looks really advanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
ice03 said:
w8s dis reliableplant site about?? it looks really advanced.
It's about flexibility in industrial sensing, with wireless sensors that can be put in place with no cable-trays, cables, etc. Flexibility, ease of re-configuration, etc can save time and money, and help industrial plants identify problems.

turbo-1 said:
It's about flexibility in industrial sensing, with wireless sensors that can be put in place with no cable-trays, cables, etc. Flexibility, ease of re-configuration, etc can save time and money, and help industrial plants identify problems.

sounds kool..but after i typed in the link u gave me i jus got lost through the site...w8 shld i type for search?

ice03 said:
sounds kool..but after i typed in the link u gave me i jus got lost through the site...w8 shld i type for search?

Do not use txt speak here. Please type out the words. See the "Rules" link at the top of this page.

ice03 said:
There are links to manufacturers of remote sensors and wireless networks throughout that page. Detailed information is available on their sites.

A good example of telemetry is the information being sent from a race car to the mechanics in the pit.

Sensors read things like oil pressure, oil temperature, coolant temperature, vehicle acceleration and speed and assemble these numbers and send them in the right order to be put onto a radio carrier and transmitted.

These may just be in the form of ASCII characters (which is a simple 7 or 8 bit code) which can be read easily at the receive end by taking the output of a receiver through a modem to the serial port of a computer. They can then be displayed in a graphical form to look like the instrument you might use to read them if you were in the car.
So, you might have a digital speedometer, but you would also have a chart recorder showing accelleration and speed around the whole course.

From this mechanics can work out that something needs to be replaced and have it ready when the car comes into change tyres.

This is just one example. It is often difficult to run wires to a sensor and wireless signals can be used to make the job cheaper and easier. You might have a wind speed meter on an island and want to get the information to a central weather station. Putting wires under the water would be very expensive so you use a wireless (radio) connection.

turbo-1 said:
There are links to manufacturers of remote sensors and wireless networks throughout that page. Detailed information is available on their sites.

Thank you turbo-1 !

Related to Industrial Wireless: Exploring Networking & Sensors

What is industrial wireless networking?

Industrial wireless networking is the use of wireless technology to connect devices and sensors in an industrial setting. It allows for the transmission of data and communication between machines and systems without the need for physical cables.

What are the benefits of using industrial wireless networking?

There are several benefits to using industrial wireless networking, including increased flexibility and mobility, reduced costs and maintenance, and improved efficiency and productivity. It also allows for easier access to data and real-time monitoring of industrial processes.

What types of sensors are used in industrial wireless networking?

There are several types of sensors that can be used in industrial wireless networking, including temperature sensors, pressure sensors, flow sensors, level sensors, and vibration sensors. These sensors are used to measure various parameters in industrial processes and transmit the data wirelessly.

What are the challenges of implementing industrial wireless networking?

Some challenges of implementing industrial wireless networking include interference from other wireless devices, security concerns, and the need for a reliable and robust network infrastructure. It is also important to consider the specific requirements and limitations of the industrial environment when choosing and deploying wireless solutions.

How is data transmitted in industrial wireless networking?

Data is typically transmitted through a wireless network using radio frequency (RF) signals. These signals are sent and received by wireless devices, such as sensors and access points, and are then processed and relayed to a central control system for analysis and monitoring.