Inelastic Collision and Rotational Inertia

In summary, Victorzaroni found that the angular momentum of the block when it gets to the bottom equals to angular momentum of the rod when it hits it. He also found that everything has angular momentum (about any point that isn't on its line of motion). Finally, he explained that conservation of angular momentum always means conservation of angular momentum about a particular point.
Victorzaroni

Homework Statement

A mass M slides down a smooth surface from height h and collides inelastically with the lower end of a rod that is free to rotate about a fixed axis at P as shown below. The mass of the rod is also M, the length is L, and the moment of inertia about P is ML2/3.

The angular velocity of the rod about the axis P just after the mass sticks to it will be:
(A) √(gh/2)
(B) √(2gh)/L
(C) (3/4L)√(2gh)
(D) (3L)/√(2gh)
(E) (9√(2gh))/L

Homework Equations

There's a bunch.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with conservation of energy, so mgh=(1/2)mv2 and thus v=√(2gh). I don't really know where to go next. I know inelastic means momentum is conserved and kinetic energy is not.

Attachments

• photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Victorzaroni! :smile:
Victorzaroni said:
I started with conservation of energy, so mgh=(1/2)mv2 and thus v=√(2gh). I don't really know where to go next. I know inelastic means momentum is conserved and kinetic energy is not.

angular momentum is also conserved :wink:

oh okay. So The angular momentum of the block when it gets to the bottom equals to angular momentum of the rod when it hits it? How do I express that in an equation? Is the r in w=v/r the height of the circle?

Victorzaroni said:
oh okay. So The angular momentum of the block when it gets to the bottom equals to angular momentum of the rod when it hits it?

of the rod-plus-block, yes
How do I express that in an equation? Is the r in w=v/r the height of the circle?

(you mean half the height?) :smile:

what does r have to do with it? this is a rod, you'll have to use moment of inertia

Okay. So: rmv=Iw=>rmv=(M+M)r2w?

(have an omega: ω :wink:)
Victorzaroni said:

uhh? :confused:

what's the moment of inertia of a rod?

It's (1/3)ML^2 (about the end) I meant to write that.

then do so! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
then do so! :smile:

Do what?

combine …
Victorzaroni said:
Victorzaroni said:
It's (1/3)ML^2 (about the end) I meant to write that.

okay. So: rmv=Iw => rm√(2gh)=(1/3)(m+m)L2
I'm just confused about what the r is. Is that L?

Yup! :biggrin:

Unless I made a math error, I end up with (3√(2gh))/(2L), and that's not a choice. :(

oh wait, it's not …
Victorzaroni said:
(1/3)(m+m)L2

… the "1/3" is only for the rod, not for the other mass

Oh okay yea I didn't think that that made much sense. So I am just equating: Lmsqrt(2gh)=(1/3)mL^2

but you still need to add on the angular momentum for the other mass

But the other mass is sliding? So how does it have angular momentum?

Victorzaroni said:
But the other mass is sliding? So how does it have angular momentum?

ah

everything has angular momentum (about any point that isn't on its line of motion)

conservation of angular momentum always means conservation of angular momentum about a particular point

you've chosen, as that point, the pivot at the top of the rod

you chose it because there's an unknown force at the pivot, and the only way you can avoid it is to make its moment zero

so now you need to find the angular momentum of the sliding mass about the pivot

i thought you already knew that, and had done it? :confused:
So: rmv=Iw=>rmv=(M+M)r2w?

Well that's what I did and it was wrong. You said the right side of the equation was wrong because of the (m+m). I get now why we can equate things because of their angular momentum, but I am missing a piece and I don't what it is

Victorzaroni said:
Well that's what I did and it was wrong. You said the right side of the equation was wrong because of the (m+m).

yes, because the 2nd m was wrong, it should have been m/3

(the 1st m was right)

Related to Inelastic Collision and Rotational Inertia

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which kinetic energy is not conserved. This means that some of the kinetic energy is lost, usually in the form of heat or sound, during the collision.

What is rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is affected by the object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

How does rotational inertia affect an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, rotational inertia plays a role in determining the amount of energy lost during the collision. Objects with higher rotational inertia will experience a smaller change in rotational velocity compared to objects with lower rotational inertia.

What is an example of an inelastic collision?

A common example of an inelastic collision is when a baseball hits a wall. The kinetic energy of the ball is not conserved, as some of it is lost due to the deformation of the ball and the sound created upon impact.

How is the conservation of momentum applied in an inelastic collision?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after a collision. In an inelastic collision, the total momentum is still conserved, but the kinetic energy is not. This means that the objects involved in the collision will have a different velocity after the collision than before.