Inelastic Momentum / Centripetal force problem

In summary, a 12g bullet with an initial horizontal velocity strikes a .8kg wooden block suspended from a light cord, becoming embedded in it. After the collision, the combined object swings on the end of the cord and rises to a vertical height of .8m. Using conservation of energy and momentum, the initial speed of the bullet can be calculated to be approximately 330 m/s. This differs from the initial calculation of 90 m/s, which may have been incorrect due to not accounting for the slowing down of the pendulum as it swings up. Some sources also use the equation TSinθ=ma instead of F=ma in this scenario.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

A small wooden block with mass .8kg is suspeded from the lower end of a light cord that is 1.6m long. The block is initially at rest. A bullet with mass 12g is fired at the block with a horizontal velocity vi. The bullet strikes the block and becomes embedded in it. After the collision the combined object swings on the end of the cord. When the block has risen a vertical height of .8m, the tension in the cord is 4.8N. What is the initial speed vi of the bullet?

Homework Equations

conservation of energy
conservation of momentum
centripital acceleration = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

first the simple part...
b subscript = bullet
x subscript = block
v2b = v2x
mbv1b = mbv2b + mxv2x
mbv1b = (mb+mx)v2x
v1b = ((mb+mx)v2x)/mb

Then i set up the centripetal force equation like this:
mx(v2x^2 / r) = T - mx*g*sin∅
sin∅ turns out to be .5

so v2x = ((T-mx*g*.5*r)/mx)^1/2

plugging this number into conservation of momentum i end up getting that the bullet was traveling at 90 m/s, but I'm supposed to get 330 m/s according to a website (which might be wrong but probably isn't).
I probably set up my centriptal force part wrong? help? The website that gives the answer 330 says TSin∅=ma... how could they leave gravity out? and why did they put the sin∅ onto the tension? Doesn't it point in the direction of the centripetal acceleration already?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

A small wooden block with mass .8kg is suspeded from the lower end of a light cord that is 1.6m long. The block is initially at rest. A bullet with mass 12g is fired at the block with a horizontal velocity vi. The bullet strikes the block and becomes embedded in it. After the collision the combined object swings on the end of the cord. When the block has risen a vertical height of .8m, the tension in the cord is 4.8N. What is the initial speed vi of the bullet?

Homework Equations

conservation of energy
conservation of momentum
centripital acceleration = v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

first the simple part...
b subscript = bullet
x subscript = block
v2b = v2x
mbv1b = mbv2b + mxv2x
mbv1b = (mb+mx)v2x
v1b = ((mb+mx)v2x)/mb

Then i set up the centripetal force equation like this:
mx(v2x^2 / r) = T - mx*g*sin∅
The equation is only good for when the block is moving with speed ##{v_x}_2##, which is when it's at the bottom — in other words, when ##\theta=90^\circ##. As the pendulum swings up, it slows down. The lefthand side is no longer equal to ##\frac{m_x {v_x}_2^2}{r}## because its speed is no longer ##{v_x}_2##.

Instead of using F=ma here, try using conservation of energy.

so v2x = ((T-mx*g*.5*r)/mx)^1/2

plugging this number into conservation of momentum i end up getting that the bullet was traveling at 90 m/s, but I'm supposed to get 330 m/s according to a website (which might be wrong but probably isn't).
I probably set up my centriptal force part wrong? help? The website that gives the answer 330 says TSin∅=ma... how could they leave gravity out? and why did they put the sin∅ onto the tension? Doesn't it point in the direction of the centripetal acceleration already?

Related to Inelastic Momentum / Centripetal force problem

1. What is inelastic momentum?

Inelastic momentum is a concept in physics that refers to the conservation of momentum in a collision where the objects involved do not bounce off each other and stick together instead. This means that the total momentum before and after the collision remains the same, but the kinetic energy is not conserved.

2. How is inelastic momentum different from elastic momentum?

Elastic momentum is a concept in physics that refers to the conservation of momentum in a collision where the objects involved bounce off each other. This means that the total momentum and kinetic energy before and after the collision are both conserved. Inelastic momentum, on the other hand, only conserves the total momentum and not the kinetic energy.

3. What is a centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular path, keeping an object moving in a circular motion. It is always perpendicular to the object's velocity and is necessary for the object to maintain its circular path.

4. How does centripetal force relate to inelastic momentum?

In the context of inelastic momentum, centripetal force is necessary to maintain the circular motion of colliding objects after they stick together. This force acts as an inward force, keeping the objects moving in a circular path and conserving their total momentum after the collision.

5. Can you provide an example of an inelastic momentum and centripetal force problem?

One example would be a car colliding with a stationary object, such as a wall. The car and the wall stick together after the collision, meaning that the collision is inelastic. The car was also moving in a circular path before the collision, so there is a centripetal force acting towards the center of the circular path to maintain its motion. This centripetal force is necessary to conserve the total momentum of the car and wall after the collision.