Inertial and Non-Inertial Reference Frames

In summary, inertial and non-inertial reference frames are two types of coordinate systems used to describe the motion of an object. Inertial reference frames are based on the laws of motion and remain stationary or move with a constant velocity in a straight line. Non-inertial reference frames, on the other hand, are accelerating or rotating and do not adhere to the laws of motion. Understanding the differences between these two frames is crucial for accurately describing and predicting the motion of objects in different scenarios, such as on Earth or in space.
SQLMAN
Hi All
Physics newbie here...

Just a quick question regarding Inertial and Non-Inertial Reference Frames.
From what I understand:
Inertial = One that obeys Newton's Law of Inertia. Moves at constant velocity in one direction
Non-Inertial: One that accelerates.
Right?
So, I read somewhere that there is no possible way to have an Inertial reference frame on planet Earth because Earth rotates - Is this correct?
I figured (with my limited understanding) that because it's rotating at a constant velocity, it's inertial?
Where am I going wrong here?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You experience the Sun's gravitational force on Earth. You also experience the Coriolis effect and an apparent "centrifugal" force due to rotation of the Earth. These apparent forces (also called fictitious forces) must be accounted for while calculations are being made, so the Earth is not an inertial frame of reference as these "external" forces act any observer on the planet (although in most cases they are negligible, and we can approximate the Earth to an inertial reference frame).

Likes AlephNumbers
SQLMAN said:
because it's rotating at a constant velocity, it's inertial?
No. Rotating frames are not inertial, even at constant angular velocity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_reference_frame

But for local and short experiments the effects of the Earth's rotation are often negligible compared to the effects you are interested in, so it's a valid approximation.

SQLMAN said:
Hi All
Physics newbie here...

Just a quick question regarding Inertial and Non-Inertial Reference Frames.
From what I understand:
Inertial = One that obeys Newton's Law of Inertia. Moves at constant velocity in one direction
Non-Inertial: One that accelerates

I think what's clearer is to talk about inertial vs. non-inertial coordinate systems, rather than frames. An inertial coordinate system is one where a free particle (one not acted on by any nongravitational force) travels in "straight lines". That is, if you plot [itex]x[/itex] versus [itex]t[/itex] on graph paper, you get a straight line (and similarly for [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex]). In contrast, a noninertial coordinate system is one where the graph of the position of a particle as a function of time is a curve, rather than a straight line.

For example, in a rotating coordinate system, if you plot [itex]x[/itex] versus [itex]t[/itex], you don't get a straight line.[/QUOTE]

1. What is the difference between inertial and non-inertial reference frames?

Inertial reference frames are ones in which an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. Non-inertial reference frames, on the other hand, are ones in which an object will not remain at rest or in motion without an external force due to the presence of fictitious forces, such as centrifugal force or Coriolis force.

2. How do you determine if a reference frame is inertial or non-inertial?

A reference frame is considered inertial if Newton's first law (the law of inertia) holds true in that frame. This means that an object will continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. If Newton's first law does not hold true, the reference frame is considered non-inertial.

3. Can non-inertial reference frames be used in scientific experiments and calculations?

Yes, non-inertial reference frames can be used in scientific experiments and calculations, but they require the addition of fictitious forces to accurately describe the motion of objects within that frame.

4. Why are inertial reference frames important in physics?

Inertial reference frames are important in physics because they provide a consistent and reliable framework for describing the motion of objects. They allow for the application of Newton's laws of motion and other fundamental principles of physics.

5. Are there any real-life examples of non-inertial reference frames?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of non-inertial reference frames. Some common examples include the rotating Earth, a car turning around a corner, and a plane making a turn. In these situations, fictitious forces such as centrifugal force and Coriolis force must be taken into account to accurately describe the motion of objects.