Inertial Frames of Reference - Understanding Special Relativity for 11-Year-Olds

In summary, an "inertial frame of reference" is a coordinate system in space-time that is chosen such that the laws of physics hold in their simplest form. There is an infinite number of different inertial frames, and each one is valid for describing physics. Galilean relativity is the basis for what Einstein called his first postulate. Einstein's second postulate states that the laws of physics should be the same in all inertial frames of reference. If you want to understand inertial frames of reference, I suggest you look at what's called Galilean relativity.
Mahdi Al Sabad
I'm 11 and I'm trying understand what Special Relativity is about. How many different inertial frames of reference do we have and what are they?? I know what it means.

Physics news on Phys.org
Inertial frames are essentially coordinate systems in space-time, i.e., ways of assigning time and space coordinates to different events (or in other words, specifying when and where something occurs).

Inertial frames are chosen such that the laws of physics hold in their simplest form and all inertial frames are in constant uniform motion with respect to each other. There is an infinite number of different inertial frames and each of them is perfectly valid for describing physics.

You are in an "inertial frame of reference" as long as there are exterior force on you and you are moving, relative to some point, at a constant velocity. Any two frames of reference, moving at constant velocity relative to each other, are "different inertial frames of reference".

And just to add to the above, you are NOT in an inertial frame when you are accelerating.

SO ... let's say you are on a train and it is pulling out of the station and picking up speed. This is not an inertial frame of reference. Then the train settles down to a constant speed relative to the tracks that it is on. Now you are in an inertial frame of reference. You can assign the coordinates of that frame to be anywhere on the train.

HallsofIvy said:
You are in an "inertial frame of reference" as long as there are exterior force on you and you are moving, relative to some point, at a constant velocity. Any two frames of reference, moving at constant velocity relative to each other, are "different inertial frames of reference".
I am afraid you are missing something in your formulation. Or maybe you have too much.
What force are you thinking about?

Yes, thank you! I missed the word "no"!

"You are in an "inertial frame of reference" as long as there are NO exterior forces on you and you are moving, relative to some point, at a constant velocity. Any two frames of reference, moving at constant velocity relative to each other, are "different inertial frames of reference".

I don't think the force requirement is necessary, as stated. You can have many forces acting of you and still moving with constant velocity.
It is the net force which has to be zero in order to have constant velocity in an inertial frame.

nasu said:
I don't think the force requirement is necessary, as stated. You can have many forces acting of you and still moving with constant velocity.
It is the net force which has to be zero in order to have constant velocity in an inertial frame.

Probably what he meant.

Mahdi Al Sabad said:
I'm 11 and I'm trying understand what Special Relativity is about. How many different inertial frames of reference do we have and what are they?? I know what it means.

If you want to understand inertial frames of reference I suggest you look at what's called Galilean relativity. You can easily find his account of being in the hold of a ship that moves with constant speed in a straight line.

That's the basis for what Einstein called his first postulate.

Many people skip this step and then get confused when they try to understand special relativity and the effect that the second postulate has on a theory of relativity.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is an inertial frame of reference?

An inertial frame of reference is a coordinate system in which an object will remain at rest or move with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, an inertial frame of reference is a frame of reference where Newton's first law of motion holds true.

2. How does an inertial frame of reference relate to special relativity?

In special relativity, the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference. This means that an observer in one inertial frame of reference will measure the same physical phenomena as an observer in another inertial frame of reference, regardless of their relative velocities.

3. Can an inertial frame of reference be moving?

Yes, an inertial frame of reference can be moving. As long as the frame is not accelerating, it can be considered an inertial frame of reference. This means that an observer in the moving frame will still measure the same physical phenomena as an observer in a stationary frame, as long as they are not accelerating.

4. How does time dilation occur in inertial frames of reference?

In an inertial frame of reference, time dilation occurs when an object is moving at a high velocity relative to an observer in another inertial frame. This means that time will appear to move slower for the moving object compared to the stationary observer. This is a consequence of special relativity and can be observed in experiments such as the famous "twin paradox".

5. Are there any real-life applications of understanding inertial frames of reference and special relativity?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of understanding inertial frames of reference and special relativity. Some examples include global positioning systems (GPS), particle accelerators, and spacecraft navigation. These systems rely on accurate understanding and calculations of inertial frames of reference and special relativity to function properly.