Inextensible cords passing over frictionless pulleys

In summary, the two blocks are connected by flexible cords that pass over frictionless pulleys. The coefficient of fiction for block A is 0.30 while block B has a coefficient of fiction of 0.40. compute the magnitude and direction of the friction forces and each block. For block A, the friction force is Teta(A)=-tan^-1(o.30) and the magnitude is N 53.13 W. For block B, the friction force is Teta(B)=-tan^-1(0.40) and the magnitude is N 36.87 E. The tension in the ropes supporting the blocks is Teta(A)=-tan^-1(16.70) and
apprentice213

Homework Statement

the blocks shown in the figure are connected by flexible, inextensible cords passing over frictionless pulleys. at A, the coefficient fiction is 0.30 while at B, it is 0.40. compute the magnitude and direction of the friction forces and each block.
am i right ? x( please help .. want to learn
untitled.jpg

Homework Equations

for block A:
teta(A)=tan^-1(o.30)
teta(A)=16.70
N 53.13 W
sine law:
T/sine53.13=300/sin36.87
T=400lbs

for block B:
teta(B)=tan^-1(0.40)
teta(B)=21.80
N 36.87 E
sine law:
T/sin36.87=200/sin53.13
T=150lbs

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

apprentice213 said:

Homework Statement

the blocks shown in the figure are connected by flexible, inextensible cords passing over frictionless pulleys. at A, the coefficient fiction is 0.30 while at B, it is 0.40. compute the magnitude and direction of the friction forces and each block.
am i right ? x( please help .. want to learn
untitled.jpg

Homework Equations

for block A:
teta(A)=tan^-1(o.30)
teta(A)=16.70
N 53.13 W
sine law:
T/sine53.13=300/sin36.87
T=400lbs

for block B:
teta(B)=tan^-1(0.40)
teta(B)=21.80
N 36.87 E
sine law:
T/sin36.87=200/sin53.13
T=150lbs

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't really see the set-up but can only advise that the usual calculation Friction = uR calculates the maximum possible friction. Perhaps in this case you don't need, and thus won't generate the maximum friction?

2.jpg

sorry :) this is the figure . my instructor said we must find the tension(that red line) .. what should be the possible formula?

then this the 1st thing i do

3-1.jpg

could it be solve by this figure ?

then followed by law of sine

Last edited:

The force supporting each block in position comes in part by friction, and with a rope making up the difference. Friction may be acting up, or down, the slope, according to which way the block is tending to slide.

Last edited:

what would be the possible formula sir? because i can't really understand this topic although i tried my best to solve .. please help thnx

anyway this topic is related to Newtons law of motion

You should draw Free Body Diagrams for both blocks, showing the forces acting. Given the mass of a block and the expression for the net force you should be able to write an expression for the acceleration of each block. These expressions will contain the (as yet) unknown values of the tensions in the two ropes.

Next examine the original figure and determine the relationships between the two accelerations and the two tensions that will be enforced by the pulley setup. You should then have enough information to solve for the tensions.

thnx sir :)

Related to Inextensible cords passing over frictionless pulleys

1. What is an inextensible cord?

An inextensible cord, also known as a non-extendable cord, is a type of cord or rope that does not stretch or elongate when a force is applied to it. This means that the length of the cord remains constant, regardless of the amount of force applied.

2. What is the significance of frictionless pulleys?

A frictionless pulley is a pulley that has no friction, meaning that it does not resist or impede the motion of the cord passing over it. This allows for the tension in the cord to remain constant, making it easier to analyze the forces acting on the system.

3. How does an inextensible cord and frictionless pulley system work?

In an inextensible cord and frictionless pulley system, the tension in the cord remains constant throughout the system. This means that the force applied to one end of the cord is transmitted to the other end without any loss of energy due to stretching or friction. The pulleys redirect the forces and change the direction of the cord, allowing for efficient transfer of forces.

4. What are some real-world applications of inextensible cords and frictionless pulleys?

Inextensible cords and frictionless pulleys are commonly used in various systems, such as elevators, cranes, and zip lines. They are also used in physics experiments to study the principles of mechanics and forces.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using inextensible cords and frictionless pulleys in experiments?

One limitation is that in real-world scenarios, it is nearly impossible to have a completely frictionless pulley, so some friction may still be present. Additionally, the assumption that the cord is truly inextensible may not hold true in certain situations where extreme forces are applied. These limitations and assumptions should be taken into consideration when analyzing the results of experiments using inextensible cords and frictionless pulleys.