Infinite Curvature & Hawking Radiation Explained

In summary, a black hole will eventually radiate away and the singularity at the center will not flatten out.
Castty
Hi,

i have a question which i can't solve myself, as i am not a student of physics:

I have heard of the infinite space curvature which occurs when matter collapses into a black hole.

On the other hand i have heard, that a black hole radiates energy away.

Now i see a contradiction: When the space curvature has a value that is infinite, how can u substract an finite value from it so that the curvature flattens out in the end? Is my understanding of infinite in that sense wrong? Thats must be, otherwise, due to hawking radiation, we would have "nacked" space curvature without mass.

Id be glad, if someone could help me out here.

Thanks and regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hawking radiation comes from the spacetime at the event horizon, where the curvature is finite.

The infinite curvature that you’re thinking about is at the singularity at the “center” of the black hole.

Thanks for the answer but i read, that a black hole will radiate completely away in a far far far future. If that's true, then someday even the singularity must be touched by this. Thats why my questions raised.

Castty said:
the infinite space curvature which occurs when matter collapses into a black hole

At the singularity at ##r = 0##, yes, as @Nugatory has said. More precisely, this is a prediction of classical General Relativity.

Castty said:
i have heard, that a black hole radiates energy away

Yes, but that prediction is not a prediction of classical General Relativity. It is a prediction of quantum field theory in curved spacetime, which is the best we have done so far at combining quantum field theory with General Relativity. But that theory is still incomplete, and when we have a full quantum theory of gravity, it might also change the prediction of what happens inside a black hole so there is no longer infinite curvature at ##r = 0##. We don't know for sure because we don't have a full quantum theory of gravity yet.

Castty said:
When the space curvature has a value that is infinite, how can u substract an finite value from it so that the curvature flattens out in the end?

In the quantum field theory in curved spacetime model that predicts that black holes radiate (more precisely, the original model that Hawking came up with in the 1970s), the curvature does not "flatten out" inside the hole. When we say the hole radiates away, what we really mean is that the region of spacetime inside the event horizon, which has a singularity at ##r = 0##, ends up becoming disconnected from the region of spacetime outside the event horizon. But the region containing the singularity is still part of the overall spacetime, even though it ends up disconnected from the outside region. So the curvature at the singularity never has to "flatten out".

I should emphasize, though, that we don't know whether this original model of Hawking's is what actually happens. It's a mathematical model that may or may not reflect reality. There are other, different proposed mathematical models that make different predictions, but as I said, until we have a complete quantum theory of gravity, we won't know which, if any, of the models we have now describe what actually happens.

Likes Demystifier and PeroK
Thanks for the answer! That helps alot. Exciting topic. Studied the wrong subject :)

1. What is infinite curvature in relation to Hawking radiation?

Infinite curvature is a concept in physics that refers to a point of infinite density and zero volume. In the context of Hawking radiation, it is believed that this infinite curvature occurs at the center of a black hole, known as the singularity.

2. How does Hawking radiation work?

Hawking radiation is a process by which black holes emit radiation. It is caused by quantum effects near the event horizon of a black hole, where particles and antiparticles are continuously being created and destroyed. In this process, one particle falls into the black hole, while the other escapes as radiation.

3. What is the significance of Hawking radiation?

Hawking radiation has significant implications for our understanding of black holes and the laws of thermodynamics. It suggests that black holes are not completely black, as they were previously thought to be, but instead emit radiation and slowly evaporate over time.

4. Can Hawking radiation be observed?

Currently, Hawking radiation has not been directly observed. This is because the radiation emitted by black holes is extremely weak and difficult to detect. However, scientists are working on developing new techniques and technologies to potentially observe Hawking radiation in the future.

5. How does Hawking radiation relate to the theory of general relativity?

Hawking radiation is a consequence of the combination of quantum mechanics and general relativity. It is believed that the formation of black holes and the subsequent emission of Hawking radiation can be explained by the laws of general relativity, but the radiation itself is a quantum phenomenon.