Infinite dimentional subspace need not be closed

In summary, X=C[0,1] and Y=span(X_0, X_1, ···) where X_j = t^i, making Y the set of all polynomials. However, Y is not closed in X, as X is a subset of Y and contains all polynomials in X.
nwl
Let X=C[O,1] and Y=span($X_{0},X_{1},···$), where $X_{j}={t}^{i}$, so that Y is the set of all polynomials. Y is not closed in X.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nwl said:
Let X=C[O,1] and Y=span(x\_{0},x\_{1},···), where X\_{j}={t}^{i}, so that Y is the set of all polynomials. Y is not closed in X.
Are you asking a question here or are you simply informing us? We can't help you if we don't know what you are asking about!

-Dan

I would have to disagree with your statement that Y is not closed in X. Y is indeed closed in X, as it is the span of all polynomials in X. This means that any linear combination of polynomials in X will also be a polynomial in X, and thus Y is a subset of X. Since Y is a subset of X and contains all polynomials in X, it is closed in X. Therefore, Y is closed in X.

1. What is an infinite dimensional subspace?

An infinite dimensional subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains an infinite number of vectors. This means that the subspace is not limited to a finite number of dimensions, unlike a finite dimensional subspace.

2. How is an infinite dimensional subspace different from a finite dimensional subspace?

An infinite dimensional subspace has an infinite number of basis vectors, while a finite dimensional subspace has a finite number of basis vectors. This means that an infinite dimensional subspace can have an infinite number of linearly independent vectors, while a finite dimensional subspace can only have a limited number of linearly independent vectors.

3. Why does an infinite dimensional subspace need not be closed?

An infinite dimensional subspace can have a limit point that is not contained within the subspace. This means that the subspace is not closed, as it does not contain all of its limit points. This is different from a finite dimensional subspace, which is always closed.

4. What is a limit point in a vector space?

A limit point in a vector space is a point that can be approached arbitrarily closely by a sequence of points in the space. In other words, a limit point is a point that is the limit of a convergent sequence of points in the space.

5. Can an infinite dimensional subspace ever be closed?

Yes, it is possible for an infinite dimensional subspace to be closed. This occurs when the subspace contains all of its limit points. However, this is not always the case, as an infinite dimensional subspace can also have limit points that are not contained within the subspace, making it not closed.