Infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the 2nd kind

In summary, the Infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the first kind is: $$J_\alpha(z) =\frac{(z/2)^\alpha}{\Gamma(\alpha+1)}\prod_{n=1}^\infty(1-\frac{z^2}{j_{n,\alpha}^2})$$ while the Infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the second kind is: $$Y_\alpha(z) = z^{-n}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}b_nz^{2k} + \frac 2\pi J_n(z)\ln(z/2)
Talon44
TL;DR Summary
Looking for infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the 2nd kind
An infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the first kind is:

$$J_\alpha(z) =\frac{(z/2)^\alpha}{\Gamma(\alpha+1)}\prod_{n=1}^\infty(1-\frac{z^2}{j_{n,\alpha}^2})$$

Here, the ##j_{n,\alpha}## are the various roots of the Bessel functions of the first kind. I found this expression at a number of sources (including at Wikipedia). I am looking for an analogous expression for Bessel's function of the second kind but cannot find one. Is it more or less the same (just with different roots, obviously)? I am not sure how to derive such representations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Abramowitz & Stegun at (9.5.10) gives [tex]
J_\alpha(z) = \frac{(z/2)^\alpha}{\Gamma(\alpha + 1)} \prod_{k=1}^\infty \left(1 - \frac{z^2}{j_{\alpha,n}^2}\right)[/tex] where [itex]0 < j_{\alpha,1} < j_{\alpha, 2} < \dots [/itex] are the non-negative zeroes of [itex]J_\alpha[/itex]. You can then understand how this representation is obtained, since [itex]J_\alpha[/itex] is [itex](z/2)^\alpha/\Gamma(z+1)[/itex] times a power series in [itex]z^2[/itex] which equals 1 when [itex]z = 0[/itex], and by definition vanishes at [itex]z = j_{\alpha,n}[/itex]. Naturally there is more work to do to show that this result does in fact hold all other values of [itex]z[/itex].

The Bessel function of the second kind is defined for non-integer [itex]\alpha[/itex] as [tex]
Y_\alpha(z) = \frac{J_\alpha(z)\cos \alpha \pi - J_{-\alpha}(z)}{\sin \alpha \pi}.[/tex] As in this case [itex]Y_\alpha[/itex] is a linear combination of the linearly independent solutions [itex]J_{\pm \alpha}[/itex] it does not receive separate analysis.

For integer [itex]n[/itex], [tex]
Y_n(z) = \lim_{\alpha \to n} \frac{J_\alpha(z)\cos \alpha \pi - J_{-\alpha}(z)}{\sin \alpha \pi}[/tex] is the linearly independent solution which is singular at the origin, since [itex]J_{\pm n}[/itex] are not linearly independent but satisfy [itex]J_{-n} = (-1)^nJ_n[/itex]. Wikipedia gives a representation of [itex]Y_n[/itex] which is essentially [tex]
Y_n(z) = z^{-n}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}b_nz^{2k} + \frac 2\pi J_n(z)\ln(z/2) + z^{n} \sum_{k=0}^\infty a_nz^{2k}[/tex] which could be similarly manipulated into an infinite product; however I don't think that the zeros of the last series are tabulated, making it less useful in practical terms. (The zeros of [itex]Y_n[/itex] itself are tabulated, as for example in Abramowitz & Stegun.)

Last edited:
Likes Theia and jim mcnamara
I will need to spend some time wrapping my head around that, but I wanted to thank you for taking the time to reply. Solving heat/diffusion problems in cylindrical geometry requires manipulating these Bessel functions and I just don't have a lot of formal experience with them. I was doing pretty well but then got stuck on the hollow cylinder.

Anyway, I will take some time with your response. Thanks again.

What is the infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the 2nd kind?

The infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the 2nd kind, also known as the Neumann function, is a mathematical expression used to represent the function in terms of an infinite product of terms. It is given by the formula:

Kv(z) = (π/2z)1/2 * (z/2)v * Πn=1 (1 + (v2 - n2)/(2z2n2))

Where v is the order of the function and z is the argument.

What is the significance of the infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the 2nd kind?

The infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the 2nd kind is significant because it allows for the calculation of the function for a wider range of values, especially for large arguments. It also provides a different perspective on the behavior of the function, which can be useful in certain applications.

How is the infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the 2nd kind derived?

The infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the 2nd kind can be derived using the theory of analytic functions and complex analysis techniques. It involves representing the function as an infinite sum of terms and then using the properties of analytic functions to transform it into an infinite product.

What are the limitations of the infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the 2nd kind?

The infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the 2nd kind is not always applicable and has certain limitations. It is only valid for certain values of the function's order and argument, and may not converge for all values. Additionally, it is not always the most efficient method for calculating the function and may not provide accurate results for all applications.

What are some real-world applications of the infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the 2nd kind?

The infinite product representation of Bessel's function of the 2nd kind has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is commonly used in the study of wave phenomena, such as in the analysis of electromagnetic fields and acoustic waves. It is also used in the solution of differential equations and in the calculation of integrals involving Bessel functions.