Modified Bessel Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the asymptotic behavior for small x of the modified Bessel equations with complex order. The wikipedia page provides a limit for small z, but it is unclear how to interpret this for complex-valued alpha. It is suggested to treat the equation as an analytic function for small z. It is also noted that for K(alpha), it is defined for alpha=0 and alpha>0, so for complex alpha, it is assumed that alpha is not equal to 0.
thatboi
Hey all,
I wanted to know if anyone knew somewhere I could find the asymptotic behavior for small x (i.e x approaching 0) limit of the modified Bessel equations with complex order. The wikipedia page for Bessel functions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessel_function#Modified_Bessel_functions:_Iα,_Kα) provides a limit when ##|z| \ll \sqrt{\alpha+1}## but in the case of complex-valued ##\alpha## I am not sure how to interpret this bound.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
They give

##I_\alpha(z) \approx \frac{1}{\Gamma(\alpha+1)}\left(\frac{z}{2}\right)^\alpha##

just treat this as an analytic function of ##\alpha## for small z.

Paul Colby said:
They give

##I_\alpha(z) \approx \frac{1}{\Gamma(\alpha+1)}\left(\frac{z}{2}\right)^\alpha##

just treat this as an analytic function of ##\alpha## for small z.
For the ##K_{\alpha}## limits, it is defined for ##\alpha=0## and ##\alpha>0##, so for the case of complex ##\alpha##, does this just mean ##\alpha\neq 0##?

That’s the way I read it. ##z=0## is a regular singular point and ##\alpha## is just a parameter. So it should be analytic.

1. What is the Modified Bessel Equation?

The Modified Bessel Equation is a special type of differential equation that is used to describe a variety of physical phenomena, including heat transfer, vibration, and diffusion. It is a generalization of the Bessel equation and is often used in mathematical modeling and analysis.

2. What are the applications of the Modified Bessel Equation?

The Modified Bessel Equation has a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and electrical circuits. It is also used in the analysis of vibrating systems, such as musical instruments or mechanical structures.

3. How is the Modified Bessel Equation solved?

The Modified Bessel Equation can be solved using various methods, including power series, Frobenius series, and integral transforms. In some cases, it can also be solved numerically using computer algorithms. The specific method used will depend on the specific form and parameters of the equation.

4. What are the properties of solutions to the Modified Bessel Equation?

The solutions to the Modified Bessel Equation have several important properties. They are typically oscillatory in nature, with an infinite number of roots and singularities. They also have the property of asymptotic behavior, meaning that as the independent variable approaches infinity, the solution approaches a constant value.

5. How is the Modified Bessel Equation related to other mathematical equations?

The Modified Bessel Equation is closely related to other mathematical equations, such as the Bessel equation, the Airy equation, and the Legendre equation. It is also a special case of the more general class of hypergeometric differential equations. Understanding these relationships can help in solving and analyzing the Modified Bessel Equation.