Infinite series as the limit of its sequence of partial sums

In summary: The limit of the sequence of partial sums is the same as the sum of the infinite series. This is a fundamental concept in calculus and analysis, and it is important to understand it thoroughly.
Fellowroot
In my book, applied analysis by john hunter it gives me a strange way of stating an infinite sum that I'm still trying to understand because in my calculus books it was never described this way.

It says:

We can use the definition of the convergence of a sequence to define the sum of an infinite series as the limit of its sequence of partial sums. Let(xn) be a sequence of ℝ. The sequence of partial sums (xn) of the series ∑(xn) is defined by sn = ∑xk from k=1 to n.

I just need someone to explain to me how an infinite series is the limit of a sequence of partial sums.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fellowroot said:
In my book, applied analysis by john hunter it gives me a strange way of stating an infinite sum that I'm still trying to understand because in my calculus books it was never described this way.
I'm very surprised it wasn't in your calculus book, as what you describe is not a strange way of defining the sum of an infinite series. The usual definition of the sum of a convergent infinite series is in terms of the sequence of partial sums.
Fellowroot said:
It says:

We can use the definition of the convergence of a sequence to define the sum of an infinite series as the limit of its sequence of partial sums. Let(xn) be a sequence of ℝ. The sequence of partial sums (xn) of the series ∑(xn) is defined by sn = ∑xk from k=1 to n.

I just need someone to explain to me how an infinite series is the limit of a sequence of partial sums.
Consider this series: ##\sum_{k = 1}^{\infty}a_k = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac 1 {2^k} = \frac 1 {2^1} + \frac 1 {2^2} + \frac 1 {2^3} + \dots = \frac 1 2 + \frac 1 4 + \frac 1 8 + \dots##
This is a convergent geometric series that is known to converge to 1.

The sequence of partial sums Sn = ##\{\frac 1 2, \frac 3 4, \frac 7 8, \dots, \frac{2^{n - 1}} {2^n}, \dots\}##.
Here ##S_1 = a_1, S_2 = a_1 + a_2, S_3 = a_1 + a_2 + a_3, \dots ##

The series converges to 1 because the sequence of partial sums converges to 1. Hopefully that's clear to you.

Okay, now that I'm looking at it, its more than obvious. The red flag that got me was that it mentioned the word sequence and I didn't really get that because I always viewed this as a series not a sequence, as if they were different.

But as you have shown me, while you are calculating the series you can take those incremental sums and make a sequence out of it. The limit of the sequence should be what the infinite sum converges to. Its just another way to view the series.

Fellowroot said:
Okay, now that I'm looking at it, its more than obvious. The red flag that got me was that it mentioned the word sequence and I didn't really get that because I always viewed this as a series not a sequence, as if they were different.
Well, a series is different from a sequence -- I hope you understand that. A sequence is essentially a list of numbers, and a series is the sum (finite or infinite) of the terms in the series.

When you're working with a series there are two sequences to consider: (1) the sequence of terms (##a_0, a_1, a_2,## and so on) and the sequence of partial sums (##S_0, S_1, S_2,## and so on). In my previous post I explained where the terms in the sequence of partial sums come from.
Fellowroot said:
But as you have shown me, while you are calculating the series you can take those incremental sums and make a sequence out of it. The limit of the sequence should be what the infinite sum converges to. Its just another way to view the series.
Correct.

1. What is an infinite series and how is it related to its sequence of partial sums?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. Its sequence of partial sums is obtained by adding up a finite number of terms from the series. The nth partial sum is the sum of the first n terms of the series. The infinite series is related to its sequence of partial sums because the limit of this sequence represents the sum of all the terms in the series.

2. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

An infinite series converges if its sequence of partial sums approaches a finite limit as the number of terms approaches infinity. This means that the sum of the infinite series is a finite number. On the other hand, an infinite series diverges if its sequence of partial sums does not approach a finite limit, meaning that the sum of the series is either infinite or does not exist.

3. What is the importance of the concept of "limit" in infinite series?

The concept of limit is crucial in determining the convergence or divergence of an infinite series. The limit of the sequence of partial sums represents the sum of the infinite series, so if the limit exists, it tells us whether the series converges or diverges. Additionally, the concept of limit helps us to understand the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases.

4. Can an infinite series have more than one limit?

No, an infinite series can only have one limit. This is because the limit of a sequence is a unique value that the terms of the sequence approach as the number of terms increases. If an infinite series has more than one limit, it would mean that the series has two different sums, which is not possible.

5. How do you evaluate the sum of an infinite series?

The sum of an infinite series can be evaluated using various methods such as the geometric series formula, telescoping series, and the ratio test. These methods involve finding a closed form for the series or determining the convergence or divergence of the series. In some cases, the sum of an infinite series may not have a closed form, and can only be approximated using numerical methods.