Infinite series - Inverse trigonometry

In summary: Thanks for the heads up! A PM will be fine, thanks. I haven't seen these type questions before, is all. Thanks for the heads up!
Saitama

Homework Statement

The sum of the infinite terms of the series
[tex]\text{arccot}\left(1^2+\frac{3}{4}\right)+\text{arccot}\left(2^2+\frac{3}{4}\right)+\text{arccot}\left(3^2+\frac{3}{4}\right)+...[/tex]
is equal to
A)arctan(1)
B)arctan(2)
C)arctan(3)
D)arctan(4)

Ans: B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The given series can be written as
$$\sum_{r=1}^{\infty} \text{arccot}\left(r^2+\frac{3}{4}\right)$$
Simplifying the term inside the summation, I rewrite it as
$$\arctan\left(\frac{4}{4r^2+3}\right)$$
I don't see how to proceed further. I am thinking of converting the above in the form ##\arctan\left(\frac{x-y}{1+xy}\right)##, rewrite it in the form ##\arctan(x)-\arctan(y)## and perform the summation but I can't see a way to do this.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked it out, but I think you're on the right track. Try rewriting it as
$$r^2 + \frac{3}{4} = \left(r^2 - \frac{1}{4}\right) + 1 = \left(r+\frac{1}{2}\right)\left(r-\frac{1}{2}\right) + 1$$

Likes 1 person
vela said:
I haven't worked it out, but I think you're on the right track. Try rewriting it as
$$r^2 + \frac{3}{4} = \left(r^2 - \frac{1}{4}\right) + 1 = \left(r+\frac{1}{2}\right)\left(r-\frac{1}{2}\right) + 1$$

Wow. That's great. Thanks a lot vela! :smile:

I did try rewriting 3/4 as 1-1/4 but then I didn't notice that it could simplified to (r-1/2)(r+1/2). :redface:

This is one of the most sadistic questions I've seen. Where are you getting these questions?

verty said:
This is one of the most sadistic questions I've seen. Where are you getting these questions?

From practice sheets. Do you want me to send the links to those practice sheets by PM? I don't know if its ok to post them here.

Pranav-Arora said:
From practice sheets. Do you want me to send the links to those practice sheets by PM? I don't know if its ok to post them here.

A PM will be fine, thanks. I haven't seen these type questions before, is all.

1. What is an infinite series in mathematics?

An infinite series in mathematics is a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is represented by a sequence of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. The sum of the terms in an infinite series can be either finite or infinite, depending on whether the series converges or diverges.

2. What is the inverse trigonometric function?

The inverse trigonometric function is the opposite of a trigonometric function. It is used to find the angle in a right triangle when the lengths of the sides are known. The most commonly used inverse trigonometric functions are arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, denoted as sin-1, cos-1, and tan-1, respectively.

3. How are infinite series and inverse trigonometry related?

Infinite series and inverse trigonometry are related through the use of power series. Power series are infinite series that represent a function as a sum of powers of a variable. By using power series, we can express inverse trigonometric functions as infinite series, making them easier to manipulate and solve.

4. What is the Maclaurin series for the inverse sine function?

The Maclaurin series for the inverse sine function, sin-1(x), is given by:sin-1(x) = x + (1/2)x3/3 + (1/2)(3/4)x5/5 + (1/2)(3/4)(5/6)x7/7 + ...

5. What are some real-world applications of infinite series and inverse trigonometry?

Infinite series and inverse trigonometry have various real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they are used to model and analyze oscillatory systems, such as pendulums and springs, and to solve optimization problems in finance and economics. They are also essential in the development of computer graphics and animation.