Infinite Square Well -- Instantaneous expansion of the Well

In summary: Even though the wells just expand much faster than the wavefunction, in the end it is different. See my discussion about this:...In summary, the author doubts the correctness of using the series method to find the energy of the system before the well expands. However, after doing some research, they find that the correct answer is to use the integral method.
JD_PM

Homework Statement

GRIFFITHS 2.38.jpeg

My doubts are on c)

Homework Equations

$$< H > = \int \Psi^* \hat H \Psi dx = \frac{2}{a} \int_{0}^{a} sin (x\frac{\pi}{a}) \hat H sin (x\frac{\pi}{a}) dx$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that mathematically the following equation yields (which is the right answer):

$$< H > = \frac{2}{a} \int_{0}^{a} sin (x\frac{\pi}{a}) \hat H sin (x\frac{\pi}{a}) dx = \frac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{2ma^2} $$

But before seeing this method I did the following:

We know that the expectation value of the energy is:

$$< H > = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |c_n|^2 E_n$$

So after the well expands to twice its original size I would have said that:

$$< H > = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |c_n|^2 E_n = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{8ma^2}$$

Actually, Griffiths recommends not using the series method but I do not see why, as ##|c_n|^2=1##

Why am I wrong?

Attachments

• GRIFFITHS 2.38.jpeg
    GRIFFITHS 2.38.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 960
Physics news on Phys.org
JD_PM said:
Actually, Griffiths recommends not using the series method but I do not see why, as ##|c_n|^2=1##
That's not correct, it is ##\sum_n |c_n|^2=1##.

DrClaude said:
That's not correct, it is ##\sum_n |c_n|^2=1##.

My bad, should I edit it?

JD_PM said:
My bad, should I edit it?
You don't need to. The problem is not just the typo. How did you find the equality
JD_PM said:
$$< H > = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |c_n|^2 E_n = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{8ma^2}$$
without knowing the ##c_n##'s, apart from the fact that ##\sum_n |c_n|^2=1##?

DrClaude said:
You don't need to. The problem is not just the typo. How did you find the equality

without knowing the ##c_n##'s, apart from the fact that ##\sum_n |c_n|^2=1##?

The limited values for the energy in the infinite square well with width ##a## are:

$$E_n = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2ma^2}$$

Now the width is ##2a## so:

$$E_n = \frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{8ma^2}$$

My intuition tells me that I should get ##\frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{8ma^2}## because we make the measurement (I know this word is extremely delicate in QM) once the well has been expanded. However the provided answer states ##\frac{n^2 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2ma^2}##, which the energy before the well expansion!

What is going on here?

I want to stress that I am interested in the physical meaning not mathematical (I understand the integral method).

First, you shouldn't expect to get a result with ##n## in it. The quantum number simply labels the energy eigenstates, so it should disappear when calculating the actual energy of the system.

The key word in the problem is "suddenly." If the change is sudden, then the state hasn't time to adapt to the new potential. The wave function will remain unchanged from what it was previously. Therefore, it does not correspond to an eigenstate of the new Hamiltonian, so the answer will be more complicated.

It is always valid to use
$$\langle \hat{H} \rangle = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |c_n|^2 E_n$$
but for that you need to calculate the coefficients ##c_n## for the eigenstates of the new Hamiltonian. This can be done, but it is not the easiest way to solve the problem. This is why Griffiths warns about not taking that route.

Likes JD_PM
DrClaude said:
First, you shouldn't expect to get a result with ##n## in it. The quantum number simply labels the energy eigenstates, so it should disappear when calculating the actual energy of the system.

The key word in the problem is "suddenly." If the change is sudden, then the state hasn't time to adapt to the new potential. The wave function will remain unchanged from what it was previously. Therefore, it does not correspond to an eigenstate of the new Hamiltonian, so the answer will be more complicated.

It is always valid to use
$$\langle \hat{H} \rangle = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} |c_n|^2 E_n$$
but for that you need to calculate the coefficients ##c_n## for the eigenstates of the new Hamiltonian. This can be done, but it is not the easiest way to solve the problem. This is why Griffiths warns about not taking that route.

Mmm I see what you mean thanks.

But, the sudden change disturbs me... I mean does not that imply instantaneous change? (which goes against Relativity)?

JD_PM said:
But, the sudden change disturbs me... I mean does not that imply instantaneous change? (which goes against Relativity)?
I don't why instantaneous would go against relativity. For a real system, the change only need to be much faster than the normal dynamics of the system.

Likes PeroK
DrClaude said:
I don't why instantaneous would go against relativity.

Because instantaneous information travels faster than light

JD_PM said:
QM is non-relativistic. It treats time as a parameter separate from space.

Classical mechanics is non-relativistic. A rigid body is non-relativistic.

In any case, "instantaneous" simply means "fast enough to ignore the transition phase". It doesn't necessarily imply an instantaneous change in reality.

JD_PM said:
The information is not instantaneous, the change in potential is. One could imagine a situation where the information travels at the speed of light, but at all points where the quantum system is located (and remember that the problem is 1D) the change on potential happens at the same time.

Again, while in practice shutting down a potential in no time is not possible, it doesn't violate any law of physics.

1. What is an Infinite Square Well?

An Infinite Square Well is a theoretical concept in quantum mechanics that represents a particle confined to a one-dimensional box with infinitely high potential energy barriers on either side.

2. How does the Infinite Square Well model work?

The Infinite Square Well model assumes that the particle is confined to a specific region with a constant potential energy. The particle's wave function is described by the Schrodinger equation, which determines the probability of finding the particle at a certain position within the well.

3. What is meant by "instantaneous expansion" of the Well?

"Instantaneous expansion" refers to the sudden change in the size of the well, from a finite size to an infinite size. This change is often used as a thought experiment to understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces.

4. How does the particle behave during an instantaneous expansion of the Well?

During an instantaneous expansion, the particle's wave function spreads out to fill the new, larger space. This results in a decrease in the particle's potential energy and an increase in its kinetic energy. The particle's behavior can be described using the time-dependent Schrodinger equation.

5. What is the significance of studying the Infinite Square Well and its instantaneous expansion?

The Infinite Square Well and its instantaneous expansion are important concepts in quantum mechanics that help us understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces. They also provide insights into the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality and the uncertainty principle.