Inflation theory and General Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of vacuum energy and its potential role in the early universe. It is mentioned that General Relativity may not make predictions about the conversion of vacuum energy into matter, but rather quantum field theory would be used for this. There is also a discussion about the calculation of the total amount of energy in the universe and the potential inclusion of vacuum energy as a contribution to the cosmological constant. However, the concept of gravitational energy is unclear and there is no consensus on how to define it.
Tio Barnabe
Does General Relativity predicts that in the early universe vacuum energy was converted into matter? How does it relates to the Inflation Theory by Allan Guth?

I'm asking this because I remember reading in a book on GR that there are ways of calculating the total amount of energy in the universe by adding the matter contribution, etc... including vacuum energy. In fact, I remember reading about this in several books.

But today there's less vacuum out there than there was before, correct? So what happened to the associated vacuum energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tio Barnabe said:
Does General Relativity predicts that in the early universe vacuum energy was converted into matter?

This sort of prediction wouldn't be made using GR. It would be made using quantum field theory, which would model the "vacuum energy" (I'm not sure what you mean by this--see below) and the "matter" (and radiation) as quantum fields and using that to predict how energy might be transferred between them.

What GR would be used for, given the above QFT model, would be to compute the behavior of the spacetime geometry using the effective stress-energy tensor of the quantum fields involved. That's how we reconstruct the expansion history of the universe based on the energy density in various forms--matter, radiation, dark energy, etc.

As I noted above, the term "vacuum energy" is vague. Do you mean the inflaton field (the field that drove inflation)? Or do you mean something else?

Tio Barnabe said:
I remember reading in a book on GR that there are ways of calculating the total amount of energy in the universe by adding the matter contribution, etc... including vacuum energy. In fact, I remember reading about this in several books.
Can you cite one of these books? To my knowledge it is not correct: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html

PeterDonis said:
As I noted above, the term "vacuum energy" is vague. Do you mean the inflaton field (the field that drove inflation)? Or do you mean something else?
I mean the curvature energy in a region where there's no matter. In some treatments the curvature caused by a source is considered when accounting for all the sources of energy. That is what I've read on a pdf by Prof Mattias Blau from the Bern University I found on web. (Maybe I misunderstood what is said on there.)
Dale said:
Can you cite one of these books?
One of them is actually a pdf, as I say in above.

Tio Barnabe said:
Can you link to it or otherwise identify it. It sounds like a legitimate reference, so I think you are misunderstanding it.

Dale said:
Can you link to it or otherwise identify it. It sounds like a legitimate reference, so I think you are misunderstanding it.
This is the website http://www.blau.itp.unibe.ch/Lecturenotes.html
The pdf file is named "newlecturesGR.pdf"

Um, there are more than 900 pages. Can you please narrow it down a bit? Where does he calculate the total amount of energy in the universe?

Last edited:
Ok. Just give me some time for finding it.

http://www.blau.itp.unibe.ch/newlecturesGR.pdf

From what I have seen, this is a really excellent, freely available, book.

Dale said:
Um, there are more than 900 pages. Can you please narrow it down a bit? Where does he calculate the total amount of energy in the universe?

The discussion in section 21.6 "Comments on Gravitational Energy" is quite interesting (pages 259 - 465)!
It may not have escaped your attention that in the entire discussion of energy and energy-momentum tensors of fields in a gravitiational field the notion of the energy of the gravitational field itself has not appeared so far, even though clearly there can be an exchange of energy between matter and gravitational fields and one should not expect one to be conserved without taking into account the other. This is evidently a major omission, and I will try to rectify this now, but as you will perhaps understand from the discussion below there is a good reason why I have so far tried to avoid this issue. ...

This is treacherous territory and I cannot guarantee that even these elementary remarks are widely considered to be uncontroversial (in fact, the number of uncontroversial statements one can make about this subject is probably quite small - but is likely to include this parenthetical remark . . . ). ...

Thus it is possible that an appropriate notion of gravitational energy is just sufficiently ‘non-local’ (by depending on the second derivatives of the metric) that it cannot be eliminated by going to a freely falling reference frame along a single worldline. Nevertheless, this provides a first indication that the notion of energy density of the gravitational field is perhaps somewhat more subtle than expected.

Likes vanhees71 and Tio Barnabe
I remember that there was a picture involved in the discussion. I'm still trying to find it.

Tio Barnabe said:
I mean the curvature energy in a region where there's no matter. In some treatments the curvature caused by a source is considered when accounting for all the sources of energy. That is what I've read on a pdf by Prof Mattias Blau from the Bern University I found on web. (Maybe I misunderstood what is said on there.)

Here's the handful of places the notes discuss "vacuum energy"; the 3rd one seems to call it matter, alongside dust and radiation.

Page 365

...Λ is often said to play the role of a vacuum energy density (more precisely vacuum energy should perhaps be considered as one possible contribution to the cosmological constant - see section 37.4 for further discussion of this issue).​
Pages 376-377

As we saw above, a cosmological constant term can be included by adding a constant term to the Einstein-Hilbert Lagrangian. One can equally well add a constant term to the matter Lagrangian instead (and this clearly reveals its interpretation as a constant shift of the energy, e.g. by a vacuum energy contribution, of the matter fields).​
Page 789

In addition to the vacuum energy (and pressure) provided by Λ, there are typically two other kinds of matter which are relevant in our approximation, namely matter in the form of dust (w = 0) and radiation (w = 1/3).​
Page 829

We have remarked before that the cosmological constant looks like a vacuum energy contribution to the energy-momentum tensor. It is perhaps better to turn this around and to say that vacuum energy is one potential contribution to the cosmological constant...​
Pages 832-833

This is nothing other than the usual Einstein equations with a cosmological constant...the crucial difference being that here Λ is not determined by the matter content and its vacuum energy but arises solely as an integration constant. While this does not explain the observed tiny value of the cosmological constant, it separates this issue from that of the vacuum fluctuations.​

Likes Tio Barnabe

1. What is the inflation theory?

The inflation theory proposes that the universe experienced a period of rapid expansion in the first fractions of a second after the Big Bang. This explains the observed uniformity of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the large-scale structure of the universe.

2. How does inflation theory relate to general relativity?

Inflation theory is based on the principles of general relativity, which is a theory of gravity that describes the relationship between matter, energy, and the curvature of space-time. Inflation theory uses general relativity to explain the rapid expansion of the universe during the early stages after the Big Bang.

3. What evidence supports inflation theory?

One of the main pieces of evidence for inflation theory is the observed uniformity of the cosmic microwave background radiation. This radiation is thought to be a remnant of the Big Bang and its uniformity supports the idea of a rapid expansion of the universe. Additionally, the large-scale structure of the universe, such as the distribution of galaxies and galaxy clusters, also supports inflation theory.

4. Are there any challenges to inflation theory?

While there is strong evidence supporting inflation theory, there are also some challenges that scientists are still working to address. For example, the theory does not explain the cause of the initial burst of inflation or the exact mechanism for how it ended. Additionally, some observations, such as the possible detection of gravitational waves from the early universe, do not perfectly align with predictions from inflation theory.

5. What are the implications of inflation theory?

If confirmed, inflation theory has significant implications for our understanding of the origins and evolution of the universe. It would provide a framework for explaining the observed uniformity of the universe and the formation of large-scale structures. It also has implications for the search for a unified theory of physics, as it suggests a link between gravity and quantum mechanics.