Initial value problem of the wave equation

In summary, the initial data have compact support and so does the solution of the initial value problem.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to prove that if for the initial value problem of the wave equation

$$u_{tt}=u_{xx}+f(x,t), x \in \mathbb{R}, 0<t<\infty$$

the data (i.e. the initial data and the non-homogeneous $f$) have compact support, then, at each time, the solution has compact support.

I have thought the following.

Suppose that we have the initial data $u(x,0)=\phi(x)$ and $u_t(x,0)=\psi(x)$.

The functions $f, \phi, \psi$ have compact support, meaning that the functions are zero outside a bounded set $[a,b]$.

The solution of the initial value problem is given by

$$u(x,t)=\frac{1}{2}[\phi(x+t)+\phi(x-t)]+\frac{1}{2}\int_{x-t}^{x+t} \psi(y) dy+\frac{1}{2} \int_0^t \int_{x-(t-s)}^{x+(t-s)} f(y,s)dy ds$$

Let $t=T$ arbitrary.

Then

$$u(x,T)=\frac{1}{2}[\phi(x+T)+\phi(x-T)]+\frac{1}{2}\int_{x-T}^{x+T} \psi(y) dy+\frac{1}{2} \int_0^T \int_{x-(T-s)}^{x+(T-s)} f(y,s)dy ds$$

We check when $u(x,T)=0$.

We have $u(x,T)=0$ when

1. $x+T, x-T \in \mathbb{R} \setminus{[a,b]}$,
  2. $x-T,x+T<a$ or $x-T,x+T>b$,
  3. $x-(T-s)<a$ and $x+(T-s)<a$ or $x-(T-s)>b$ and $x+(T-s)>b$,
The second and third point holds for $x<a-T$ and $x>b+T$.

Thus $u$ is non-zero outside $[a-T,b+T]$ and $u$ has compact support. Is everything right? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I want to prove that if for the initial value problem of the wave equation

$$u_{tt}=u_{xx}+f(x,t), x \in \mathbb{R}, 0<t<\infty$$

the data (i.e. the initial data and the non-homogeneous $f$) have compact support, then, at each time, the solution has compact support.

I have thought the following.

Suppose that we have the initial data $u(x,0)=\phi(x)$ and $u_t(x,0)=\psi(x)$.

The functions $f, \phi, \psi$ have compact support, meaning that the functions are zero outside a bounded set $[a,b]$.

Hey evinda! (Wave)

I haven't figured everything out yet, but... how could you tell that $\phi$ and $\psi$ have compact support? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Hey evinda! (Wave)

I haven't figured everything out yet, but... how could you tell that $\phi$ and $\psi$ have compact support? (Wondering)

This is given that the initial data have compact support... (Thinking)

evinda said:
This is given that the initial data have compact support...

Ah okay.
Then it looks right to me! (Happy)

You may want to clarify that the 3 bulleted numbers correspond to the 3 terms in the solution though. (Nerd)

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes how waves, such as sound waves or light waves, propagate through a medium. It is a second-order partial differential equation that represents the relationship between the displacement of the wave and its rate of change over time and distance.

2. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the solution to a differential equation given initial conditions. In the context of the wave equation, this means determining the displacement of the wave at a specific point in time and space.

3. How is the wave equation solved?

The wave equation is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or Laplace transforms. These methods allow for the determination of the general solution to the equation, which can then be modified to fit specific initial conditions.

4. What are the applications of the wave equation?

The wave equation has a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is commonly used to model and understand the behavior of waves in various mediums, such as sound waves in air, electromagnetic waves in space, and water waves in the ocean. It also has applications in areas such as signal processing, optics, and seismology.

5. What are the limitations of the wave equation?

The wave equation is a simplified model that does not take into account factors such as friction, dispersion, and non-linear effects. As a result, it may not accurately describe the behavior of all types of waves in all situations. Additionally, the wave equation assumes a continuous medium, so it may not be applicable to systems with discrete particles or structures.