Initial velocity of ball B hit a free falling ball A

In summary: It looks like you're trying to solve for ##u##, but you're not specifying what you want ##u## to be.Can you please clarify what you want to happen?So it mean that t should be maximum which is the time ball A take to hit the ground is that correct?
Bond

Homework Statement

A boy release ball A from height 5m from ground at the same time other boy throw ball B vertically upward to exactly strike ball A. When ball B released it was 1m from ground find minimum initial velocity of ball b. Given g=10m/s^2
a) 2m/s b) 3m/s c) 4m/s d) 5m/s

Homework Equations

x (t) = v0t+1/2at^2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the problem distance between each ball is 4m when it was released and both was released at same time so when it strike each other time must be equal
Then i let x be the distance ball A travel and 4-x be distance ball B travel so i got.
x=1/2gt^2 = 5t^2 since ball A was released it has no initial velocity
and 4-x=v0t-1/2gt^2=v0t-5t^2
Solve for both I got ut =4 then I stuck here then I substitude value from choice and got 5 (the exact is about 4.4) so is there any real way to solve this
P.S. I try using energy conservation and end up with 0=0 all time.[/B]
Sorry if the problem look weird since I translate it from my own language

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Bond, :welcome:

Bond said:
since I translate it from my own language
yes, your exercise text puzzles me: what if boy B just holds te ball ? Then ball A will also strike ball B exactly ?

Or does it say that the balls hit each other exactly half way ?

Likes Bond
BvU said:

yes, your exercise text puzzles me: what if boy B just holds te ball ? Then ball A will also strike ball B exactly ?

BvU said:

It doesn't say where they hit but I'm very sure that the ball B has to be thrown and hit ball A mid air because they were released at the same time

BvU said:

I reckon they have to collide before ball B hits the ground. That's where the minimum velocity comes in.

Likes BvU
Bond said:

Homework Statement

A boy release ball A from height 5m from ground at the same time other boy throw ball B vertically upward to exactly strike ball A. When ball B released it was 1m from ground find minimum initial velocity of ball b. Given g=10m/s^2
a) 2m/s b) 3m/s c) 4m/s d) 5m/s

Homework Equations

x (t) = v0t+1/2at^2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the problem distance between each ball is 4m when it was released and both was released at same time so when it strike each other time must be equal
Then i let x be the distance ball A travel and 4-x be distance ball B travel so i got.
x=1/2gt^2 = 5t^2 since ball A was released it has no initial velocity
and 4-x=v0t-1/2gt^2=v0t-5t^2
Solve for both I got ut =4 then I stuck here then I substitude value from choice and got 5 (the exact is about 4.4) so is there any real way to solve this
P.S. I try using energy conservation and end up with 0=0 all time.[/B]
Sorry if the problem look weird since I translate it from my own language

Some of your equations have ##g## in them and some don't. Is that a typo?

You need to think about displacements rather than distances here. Also, I would set the ground as ##x = 0## and use that as my reference frame.

That said, ##ut = 4m## is correct. Now, you need an idea about how to calculate the minimum ##u## from that. Hint: if ##u## is a minimum, what is ##t##?

Likes Bond
PeroK said:
Some of your equations have ##g## in them and some don't. Is that a typo?

You need to think about displacements rather than distances here. Also, I would set the ground as ##x = 0## and use that as my reference frame.

That said, ##ut = 4m## is correct. Now, you need an idea about how to calculate the minimum ##u## from that. Hint: if ##u## is a minimum, what is ##t##?

So it mean that t should be maximum which is the time ball A take to hit the ground is that correct?

Bond said:
So it mean that t should be maximum which is the time ball A take to hit the ground is that correct?

That's right.

PeroK said:
That's right.
Thanks a lot

1. What factors affect the initial velocity of a ball B hit a free falling ball A?

The initial velocity of ball B hitting a free falling ball A can be affected by a few factors. These include the mass and speed of ball B, the height from which it is dropped, and the angle at which it hits ball A.

2. How does the initial velocity of ball B affect the motion of ball A?

The initial velocity of ball B can greatly affect the motion of ball A. If ball B has a high initial velocity, it will transfer more kinetic energy to ball A upon impact, causing ball A to move faster and farther.

3. What is the equation for calculating the initial velocity of ball B hitting a free falling ball A?

The equation for calculating the initial velocity of ball B hitting a free falling ball A is vb = √(2gh), where vb is the initial velocity of ball B, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2), and h is the height from which ball B is dropped.

4. Can the initial velocity of ball B be greater than the final velocity of ball A after impact?

Yes, it is possible for the initial velocity of ball B to be greater than the final velocity of ball A after impact. This can happen if there is a loss of energy due to factors such as air resistance or friction.

5. How does the angle of impact affect the initial velocity of ball B and the motion of ball A?

The angle of impact can greatly affect the initial velocity of ball B and the motion of ball A. If ball B hits ball A at a perpendicular angle (90 degrees), the initial velocity of ball B will be fully transferred to ball A. However, if ball B hits ball A at an angle less than 90 degrees, some of the initial velocity will be transferred to the horizontal direction, resulting in a shorter distance traveled by ball A.