Initial velocity to get from on known position to another?

In summary, We need to determine the initial velocity vector, v_0, of a projectile in order for it to land at a final position, r_f, given only the initial position, r_0. Neglecting air resistance, we can choose any launch angle, ϕ\phi, and find the necessary magnitude of v, or the other way around. The limiting cases of ϕ\phi are when it approaches π/2 and θ, the angle between the x-y plane and the line connecting r_0 and r_f. To determine v_0, we can use the fact that the trajectory is a parabola and write an expression using the 2 points and slope at one of them.
floyd0117
I have a problem where I need to figure out the initial velocity vector [itex] \vec{v_0} [/itex] of a projectile, in order for it to land at the final position [itex]\vec{r_f} = x_f\hat{x} + y_f\hat{y} + z_f\hat{z}[/itex], from initial position [itex]\vec{r_0}[/itex].
___

The only knowns in the problem are [itex]\vec{r_0}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r_f}[/itex]. Air resistance is neglected, so the the components of the net force on the projectile are

[itex]m\ddot{x} = 0[/itex]

[itex]m\ddot{y} = 0[/itex]

[itex]m\ddot{z} = -mg[/itex]

So really we can choose any launch angle [itex]\phi[/itex], and find the necessary [itex]|\vec{v}|[/itex], or the other way around, to land us at [itex]\vec{r_f}[/itex]. I think it sounds easier to choose a [itex]\phi[/itex] and then find [itex]|\vec{v}|[/itex]. So, I examine the limiting cases...
____

Let's say [itex]d[/itex] is the the distance between the initial and final positions in the [itex]x[/itex]-[itex]y[/itex] plane, that is;

[itex]d = |x_f\hat{x} + y_f\hat{y}|[/itex]

and that [itex]h[/itex] is the desired final height, [itex]h = z_f[/itex].

Then the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] measured form the [itex]x[/itex]-[itex]y[/itex] plane to a line connecting [itex](x_0, y_0 ,z_0)[/itex] to [itex](x_f, y_f, z_f)[/itex] is smiply

[itex]\theta = \arctan{\dfrac{h}{d}}[/itex]

So, our limiting cases are:

[itex]\phi \rightarrow \theta; |\vec{v_0}| \rightarrow \infty[/itex]

[itex]\phi \rightarrow \dfrac{\pi}{2}; |\vec{v_0}| \rightarrow \infty[/itex]
___

So I can choose any angle between [itex]\dfrac{\pi}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex], though angles close to those values will necessitate a very large initial velocity. My question is, how do I go from here, to determining [itex]|\vec{v_0}|[/itex]? If I choose a [itex]\phi[/itex], how do I find a velocity that will get me to [itex]\vec{r_f}[/itex]? It would seem that I need some function of [itex]v_0[/itex] in terms of both [itex]\phi[/itex] (known, after choosing), and [itex]\vec{r_f}[/itex]. Am I severely over thinknig this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
floyd0117 said:
how do I go from here
You don't go from there. Knowing the range of angles is not much help.
Just suppose the flight time is t and write an expression for where it will be at time t.

floyd0117 said:
My question is, how do I go from here, to determining |→v0||\vec{v_0}|? If I choose a ϕ\phi, how do I find a velocity that will get me to →rf\vec{r_f}?
The trajectory is a parabola. You know 2 points on it, and the slope (1st deviate) at one of them.

1. What is initial velocity?

Initial velocity refers to the velocity of an object at the beginning of its motion. It is the speed and direction at which the object is moving when it starts to move.

2. How is initial velocity calculated?

Initial velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. This is represented by the formula v = (xf - xi) / (tf - ti), where v is initial velocity, xf is final position, xi is initial position, tf is final time, and ti is initial time.

3. What factors affect initial velocity?

Initial velocity can be affected by several factors such as the force applied, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on the object. It can also be affected by the angle and direction of the initial motion.

4. How does initial velocity relate to final velocity?

The initial velocity and final velocity of an object are related through the acceleration of the object. If there is no acceleration, the initial velocity will be the same as the final velocity. However, if there is acceleration, the final velocity will be different from the initial velocity.

5. How can initial velocity be used to determine the time of flight for an object?

Using the initial velocity and the acceleration due to gravity, the time of flight for an object can be calculated. This is represented by the formula t = (vf - vi) / g, where t is time, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and g is acceleration due to gravity.