Initial wave function for an electron in a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of two different Hamiltonians, \hat{H}_1 and \hat{H}_2, in the evolution of an electron's initial wave function in position space. The question is raised about which Hamiltonian to use and if there are any conditions that the initial wave function must fulfill depending on the chosen gauge. The conversation also includes an example illustrating how the choice of gauge can affect the properties of the initial wave function.
Syrius
Hello everybody,

I am currently struggling with a problem that I came across while spending some free time on non-relativistic quantum mechanic problems.

Suppose we have an electron that is describe at time [itex] t_0 = 0 [/itex] by a wave function in position space [itex]\psi(x,y,z)[/itex]. Furthermore, assume that we have a Hamiltonian
[itex] \hat{H}_1 = \frac{1}{2m}\left [ \mathbf{p}+\frac{e}{c} \mathbf{A}_1(\mathbf{r}) \right ]^2[/itex]
with charge e, mass m and speed of light c. Then we can construct another Hamiltonian
[itex] \hat{H}_2 = \frac{1}{2m} \left [\mathbf{p}+\frac{e}{c} \mathbf{A}_2(\mathbf{r}) \right ]^2[/itex]
that can be obtained from [itex] \hat{H}_1[/itex] via a gauge transformation of the vector potential
[itex] \mathbf{A}_2(\mathbf{r}) = \mathbf{A}_1(\mathbf{r}) + ∇ f(\mathbf{r}) [/itex]
with a scalar function f.

The question is now which of these two Hamiltonians do I use to evolve my initial wave function in time? I mean, if I fix the initial wave function and the Hamiltonian it is like fixing a gauge for the initial wave function.

In other words, are there some conditions that the initial wave function has to fulfill that depend on the chosen gauge?

Greetings, Syrius

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the form of wavefunctions will depend on the gauge, probably just an addition of phase factor in wavefunction. But all the physical measurements should be independent of gauge.

If we change A by a gauge transformation then
A'=A+∇λ(x),then the wave function will change accordingly as ψ'=ψe[ie/h-c∫∇'λ(x').ds']=ψe(ieλ(x)/h-c)

Hello Adrien and ck00,

thank you for your answers. I do know the transformation law that Adrien mentioned. However, my question is a little bit different and I will illustrate it with an example.

Let [itex] \hat{p}_{\text{mech}} = \hat{p} - \frac{q}{c} \mathbf{A} [/itex], where [itex] \hat{p} [/itex] is the usual momentum operator and [itex] \mathbf{A} [/itex] the vector potential. This operator is gauge covariant, i.e. it has the same form for every gauge.

Let us now assume that we are in a field free region and we choose our vector potential [itex] \mathbf{A} = 0 [/itex]. As an initial wave function I will take the eigenfunction [itex] |p> [/itex] to the operator [itex]\hat{p}[/itex].

If we now change the gauge to [itex] \mathbf{A} = (1,0,0) [/itex] and transform [itex] |p> [/itex] with [itex] |p>' = e^{ieλ(x)/\hbar c} [/itex] |p>, then we get that [itex] |p>' [/itex] is indeed an eigenfunction to [itex] \hat{p}_{\text{mech}} = \hat{p} - \frac{q}{c} (1,0,0) [/itex]. So everything is correct here.

But now I can do everything in the backward way. I start with [itex] \mathbf{A} = (1,0,0) [/itex] and the initial wave function [itex]|p>[/itex] that is an eigenfunction to [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] but it is not an eigenfunction to [itex] \hat{p}_{\text{mech}} = \hat{p} - \frac{q}{c} (1,0,0) [/itex]. That means, depending on the gauge, [itex] |p> [/itex] can represent two different wave functions when one chooses it as the initial wave function. So my question is rather, how can I be sure that I choose the right initial wave function with the desired properties, when this properties may depend on the gauge.

Greetings, Syrius

Related to Initial wave function for an electron in a magnetic field

1. What is the initial wave function for an electron in a magnetic field?

The initial wave function for an electron in a magnetic field is a mathematical representation of the probability amplitude of finding the electron at different positions in the field at a specific time.

2. How is the initial wave function affected by the presence of a magnetic field?

The initial wave function is affected by the presence of a magnetic field because the electron experiences a force due to the field, causing a change in its momentum and leading to a change in the shape of its wave function.

3. What is the significance of the magnetic field on the initial wave function?

The magnetic field plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of the initial wave function. It affects the trajectory of the electron and determines the energy levels and spin states of the electron.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field impact the initial wave function?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the shape and orientation of the initial wave function. A stronger magnetic field results in a more compact wave function, while a weaker field leads to a more spread-out wave function.

5. Can the initial wave function for an electron in a magnetic field be experimentally observed?

Yes, the initial wave function for an electron in a magnetic field can be experimentally observed through techniques such as electron diffraction or spectroscopy. These methods allow for the measurement of the electron's position and energy, which can be used to reconstruct the initial wave function.