Injective and Continuity of split functions

In summary, the function f(x):= x when x is rational and 1-x when x is irrational is injective on the interval [0,1] and satisfies f(fx) =x for all x in [0,1]. However, it is only continuous at the point x = 1/2, as shown by the ε-δ criterion for continuity. The function is discontinuous everywhere else on the interval.
kingstrick

Homework Statement

Let I:=[0,1], let f: I→ℝ defined by f(x):= x when x is rational and 1-x when x is irrational. Show that f is injective on I and that f(fx) =x for all x in I. Show that f is continuous only at the point x =1/2

**I think i addressed all of these questions but I am unsure how to build all three elements into one formal proof.

The Attempt at a Solution

proof: Let I:=[0,1], f:I→ℝ defined by f(x):= {f(x) = x if x in Q, f(x) = 1-x if x is not in Q,} Now the lim f(x) = f(x0) as x →x0, lim x ≠ 1 as x →+1 (since there is an irrational going away from the limit), lim x ≠ 1 as x→-1 (since there is an irrational going away from the limit)

Injective:
There exists, a & b in [0,1], where a ≠ b, if a or b are rational then a ≠ 1 - a and b ≠ 1 - b. If a and b are irrational then 1-a ≠1-b → -a ≠-b → a ≠ b. Since a and b are in the interval [0,1], and a ≠ b then WLOG [a,b] must be an interval contained in [0,1].

show f(f(x) = x
If x is rational then f(f(x)) = (x) = x
If x is irrational then f(f(x)) = 1 - (1-x) = 1-1+x=x
Therefore f(f(x)) =x

show that f is continuous only at the point x =1/2
To be continuous at a point, the function must have a limit at that point and since this is a split function each of its equations must be able to exist at the same point. Therefore, 1-x = x, 1 = 2x, 1/2 = x is the only solution that meets these requirements.

Physics news on Phys.org
kingstrick said:
proof: Let I:=[0,1], f:I→ℝ defined by f(x):= {f(x) = x if x in Q, f(x) = 1-x if x is not in Q,} Now the lim f(x) = f(x0) as x →x0, lim x ≠ 1 as x →+1 (since there is an irrational going away from the limit), lim x ≠ 1 as x→-1 (since there is an irrational going away from the limit)

What is the point of this argument?

Injective:
There exists, a & b in [0,1], where a ≠ b, if a or b are rational then a ≠ 1 - a and b ≠ 1 - b. If a and b are irrational then 1-a ≠1-b → -a ≠-b → a ≠ b. Since a and b are in the interval [0,1], and a ≠ b then WLOG [a,b] must be an interval contained in [0,1].

What you wrote here doesn't make any sense. Start with the assumption that f(x) = f(y) and show that x = y.

show f(f(x) = x
If x is rational then f(f(x)) = (x) = x
If x is irrational then f(f(x)) = 1 - (1-x) = 1-1+x=x
Therefore f(f(x)) =x

This is correct. You might want an argument showing that 1-x is irrational if x is irrational, but that depends on what your instructor wants for the course.

show that f is continuous only at the point x =1/2
To be continuous at a point, the function must have a limit at that point and since this is a split function each of its equations must be able to exist at the same point. Therefore, 1-x = x, 1 = 2x, 1/2 = x is the only solution that meets these requirements.

I am not familiar with the term "split function" but I assume you mean it to be the same thing as a piece-wise function. To prove that f is continuous at x = 2-1 just use the ε-δ criterion for continuity at x = 2-1. To prove that f is discontinuous everywhere else, just show that the ε-δ criterion fails everywhere else.

jgens said:
What is the point of this argument?

I don't really know. I thought I needed to show that the function wasn't continuous for some reason... I'll remove that part

What you wrote here doesn't make any sense. Start with the assumption that f(x) = f(y) and show that x = y.

I will try, but isn't an alternative way of showing injective to show that if x ≠ y then f(x)≠f(y). That's what I was going for.

I don't see how to prove that f(x) is not continuous anywhere else. i tried making that argument in the beginning of my proof but that obviously failed to make sense. I've seen the argument made using sequences against Dirichelt's function but that was arguing that the whole thing was discontinuous. Would I need to prove that it is not continuous above and below 1/2 or is there one broad argument that can be made for anything other than 1/2?

Related to Injective and Continuity of split functions

What is the definition of an injective function?

An injective function is a type of mathematical function in which each element of the function's range is mapped to by only one element of its domain. This means that for every input, there is a unique output.

What is the significance of injective functions in mathematics?

Injective functions are important in mathematics because they allow us to uniquely identify elements in a set. This is useful in many fields, such as cryptography and data analysis.

What is the definition of continuity for a split function?

Continuity for a split function means that the function is continuous at every point in its domain. This means that as the input values approach a certain point, the output values also approach a certain value.

What are the conditions for a split function to be continuous?

A split function is continuous if it is defined at every point in its domain, and if the limit of the function as the input values approach a point are equal to the value of the function at that point.

How is the continuity of a split function related to its injectivity?

If a split function is both continuous and injective, then it is also strictly monotonic. This means that the function either always increases or always decreases as the input values increase. This relationship helps us to better understand the behavior of split functions.