Inner product of signals (or wavefunction)

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of inner products of two wave functions A and B in Hilbert space using Fourier transforms to obtain momentum representations. However, confusion arose as to whether <A|B> actually represents an inner product, and it was emphasized that wave functions can only be obtained when projected onto position or momentum "eigenstates". The conversation then moved on to applying this idea to real signals X and Y, but it was concluded that this cannot be considered as an inner product.
wang7022
Dear All:

Any idea for the following interesting question:

As we know we can calculate inner product of two wave functions A and B
as <A|B>. here both A and B are vector in hilbert space. here we may use
fourier transform to get momentum representation of A and B, and get same
result.

Then let's apply this idea in this way, if we have two real signals, such as X and Y and I want to get their inner product because signals could be consider as vector in hilbert space also. Now I use Fourier transform to get P = fft(X) and Q = fft(Y).
then get their inner product = conj(P)*Q.
now may I condiser this result as an inner product of signal X and Y?

Thanks for comments and I still don't have clear idea in this problem so just let's discuss it.

Physics news on Phys.org
wang7022 said:
As we know we can calculate inner product of two wave functions A and B
as <A|B>. here both A and B are vector in hilbert space. here we may use
fourier transform to get momentum representation of A and B, and get same
result.
Many things are confused here. ##|A \rangle## and ##|B \rangle## are vectors in Hilbert space, indeed, and thus are not wave functions. They become wave functions when projected on position "eigenstates" (*),
$$
\psi_A(x) = \langle x | A \rangle
$$
Likewise, one can obtained momentum-space wave functions,
$$
\phi_A(p) = \langle p | A \rangle
$$

While one can go from ##\psi_A(x)## to ##\phi_A(p)## and vice-versa from Fourier transforms, don't forget that ##\langle A | B \rangle## involves an integral when expressed in term of wave functions:
$$
\langle A | B \rangle = \int \psi_A^*(x) \psi_B(x) \, d x = \int \phi_A^*(p) \phi_B(p) \, d p
$$

wang7022 said:
Then let's apply this idea in this way, if we have two real signals, such as X and Y and I want to get their inner product because signals could be consider as vector in hilbert space also. Now I use Fourier transform to get P = fft(X) and Q = fft(Y).
then get their inner product = conj(P)*Q.
now may I condiser this result as an inner product of signal X and Y?
No.

This does however remind me of the convolution theorem.

(*) I don't want to get into the mathematical weeds here. Look up "rigged Hilbert space" to learn more.

Related to Inner product of signals (or wavefunction)

1. What is an inner product of signals (or wavefunction)?

An inner product of signals (or wavefunction) is a mathematical operation that takes two signals or wavefunctions and produces a single numerical value. It is used to measure the similarity or difference between two signals or wavefunctions in terms of their amplitude and phase.

2. How is the inner product of signals (or wavefunction) calculated?

The inner product of signals (or wavefunction) is calculated by multiplying the complex conjugate of one signal or wavefunction with the other signal or wavefunction, and then integrating the result over the entire signal or wavefunction domain.

3. What is the significance of the inner product of signals (or wavefunction)?

The inner product of signals (or wavefunction) has several important applications in science and engineering. It is used in signal processing to analyze and filter signals, in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle's state, and in data compression to reduce the size of large datasets.

4. Can the inner product of signals (or wavefunction) be negative?

Yes, the inner product of signals (or wavefunction) can be negative. This means that the two signals or wavefunctions are out of phase with each other, indicating a difference in their features or characteristics.

5. How is the inner product of signals (or wavefunction) related to the concept of orthogonality?

The inner product of two signals or wavefunctions is equal to zero if the signals or wavefunctions are orthogonal, meaning they have no overlap. This property is used to define orthogonal basis functions, which are important in many areas of science and engineering.