Input impedance of a "Ladder" transmission line

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a ladder transmission line and its input impedance relationship. The formula for the input impedance is given and different approaches to prove it are suggested, including using the ABCD matrix for line analysis. However, it is noted that a good understanding of networks is necessary to fully understand the proof.
Marcus95

Homework Statement

My electronics&physics lecture notes contain the following side note:
___
"A ladder transmission line comprises an alternating sequence of segments of two different transmission lines both of length $l$ with characteristic impedance $Z1$ and $Z2$. If the line is constructed such that its input impedance remains unchanged when another pair of $Z1$ and $Z2$ segments is added, the input impedance of the ladder transmission line obeys the following relationship:
$$i Z_{in}^2(Z_1+Z_2) + Z_{in} (Z_1^2-Z_2^2) - iZ_1Z_2(Z_1+Z_2) = 0. $$
"__

Homework Equations

$$ Z_{in} = Z_0 \frac{Z \cos kl + i Z_0 \sin kl}{Z_0 \cos kl + i Z \sin kl} . $$
$$V = IR$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Now to me this formula appears to be very much pulled out of thin air, so I have naturally attempted to prove it. First I considered using

$$ Z_{in} = Z_0 \frac{Z \cos kl + i Z_0 \sin kl}{Z_0 \cos kl + i Z \sin kl} . $$

but then realized that this formula is derived for when we have a single reflecting boundary only, so might not be applicable. The second approach which could be taken would be to write down the equations for both transmitted and reflected waves in all regions and hence find the input impedance for the case of 2 segments and for 4. However, this would require solving 8 simultaneous equations...

Anybody who knows how this formula is proved in a nicer way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Right now I can only suggest an approach, may look at it in more detail later:
There is some ambiguity as to whether the total line is of finite or infinite length; this should be resolved; but in either case:

Determine the ABCD matrix for line 1 of length l.
Same for line 2.
Multiply the two matrices and raise this matrix to the n th power where n is a positive integer. n is finite for a finite-length line and → ∞ for an infinite-length one. Call this the "resultant" matrix.
Write the expression for Zin in terms of the resultant matrix's ABCD parameters.
Substitute in your given equation to show its correctness.

Of course this assumes you've covered 2-terminal networks. I wouldn't know another approach though.

rude man said:
Of course this assumes you've covered 2-terminal networks. I wouldn't know another approach though.

Thank you for your reply! To be honest I have not studied networks in any great detail at all (ie I have no clue what an ABCD matrix is)... this is just an physics EM course which has a 10 page section on transmission lines where this comes up. :/

Marcus95 said:
Thank you for your reply! To be honest I have not studied networks in any great detail at all (ie I have no clue what an ABCD matrix is)... this is just an physics EM course which has a 10 page section on transmission lines where this comes up. :/
As you might judge from the paucity of replies (namely mine only) this is not an elementary problem, and significant exposure to networks is most likely required.

1. What is input impedance of a "Ladder" transmission line?

The input impedance of a "Ladder" transmission line refers to the characteristic impedance seen at the input port of the line. It is a measure of how much resistance the line presents to an electrical signal at its input.

2. How is the input impedance of a "Ladder" transmission line calculated?

The input impedance of a "Ladder" transmission line can be calculated using the "Ladder" line model, which takes into account the physical parameters of the line such as its length, cross-sectional area, and dielectric constant. It can also be calculated using the Smith chart or through simulation software.

3. What factors affect the input impedance of a "Ladder" transmission line?

The input impedance of a "Ladder" transmission line is affected by several factors, including the line length, cross-sectional area, dielectric constant, and the frequency of the signal being transmitted. It can also be affected by the termination impedance at the end of the line.

4. Why is the input impedance of a "Ladder" transmission line important?

The input impedance of a "Ladder" transmission line is important because it determines how well a signal will be transmitted through the line. If the input impedance does not match the source or load impedance, it can result in signal reflections and loss of signal quality.

5. How can the input impedance of a "Ladder" transmission line be matched to the source or load impedance?

The input impedance of a "Ladder" transmission line can be matched to the source or load impedance using impedance matching techniques such as using a matching network or using a transformer. These techniques help to minimize signal reflections and improve signal transmission.