Input resistance into a MOSFET amplifier

In summary, The conversation discusses a circuit and its equivalent, with a focus on the input resistance. The input resistance is explained to be only a function of the bias resistors, as the low-frequency input resistance is essentially infinite. The role of Rsi in the input resistance is also clarified, as it belongs to the signal source. The circuit is further explained to be modeled with an ideal voltage and resistance for a real source.
Abdulwahab Hajar
Hello everyone
I was hoping you could help me with something, in my analog electronics course..

In the diagram below, is displayed a circuit and its equivalent...
I don't understand why the input resistance is only the parallel combination of R1 and R2??
Why doesn't Rsi contribute to the input resistance?

The text explains it as follows "Since the low-frequency input resistance looking into the gate of the MOSFET is essentially infinite, the input resistance is only a function of the bias resistors." but I don't get it. Maybe I wrongly understood what the input resistance is?

any explanation would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• input resistance.png
    input resistance.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 900
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think Rsi is meant to belong to the signal source.

Likes CWatters
+1 On the lower diagram they show the point at which Ri is defined and Rs is to the left. They have modeled a real source using an ideal voltage Vi and resistance Rs.

Likes Abdulwahab Hajar
CWatters said:
+1 On the lower diagram they show the point at which Ri is defined and Rs is to the left. They have modeled a real source using an ideal voltage Vi and resistance Rs.
I see, thank you

1. What is input resistance in a MOSFET amplifier?

Input resistance in a MOSFET amplifier refers to the resistance seen at the input terminal of the amplifier. It is the ratio of the input voltage to the input current and is typically measured in Ohms.

2. Why is input resistance important in a MOSFET amplifier?

The input resistance of a MOSFET amplifier affects its ability to receive and process signals. A high input resistance allows for a larger range of input signals, while a low input resistance limits the range of signals that can be processed.

3. How is input resistance calculated in a MOSFET amplifier?

The input resistance of a MOSFET amplifier can be calculated using the following formula: Rin = Vgs/Iin, where Vgs is the gate-source voltage and Iin is the input current. Alternatively, it can also be measured using a multimeter.

4. What factors affect the input resistance of a MOSFET amplifier?

The input resistance of a MOSFET amplifier can be affected by the bias voltage, gate-source voltage, and the size and type of the MOSFET used. Additionally, the presence of any parasitic resistances can also impact the overall input resistance.

5. How can the input resistance of a MOSFET amplifier be optimized?

To optimize the input resistance of a MOSFET amplifier, it is important to carefully select the MOSFET type and size, as well as the bias and gate-source voltages. Minimizing any parasitic resistances and ensuring proper circuit design can also help to improve the input resistance.