Input Resistance: Inward/Outward Ion Flow

In summary, input resistance refers to the resistance that ions encounter as they enter a cell. This includes both inward and outward flow of ions and is important in determining the amount of current that can flow across the membrane. A higher input resistance results in lower current flow, while a lower input resistance allows for higher current flow. This concept is crucial in understanding how cells regulate their internal environment and respond to external stimuli.
tascja

Homework Statement

Its more of a concept question...
I know that the higher the input resistance = the lower the amount of current that flows across a membrane (Im learning about cells)
obviously then a decrease in input resistance would mean there is more current flowing across the membrane.
But i guess what I kind of find confusing is how it is referred to INPUT resistance. Does this mean that the current flow being affect is only the ions (which carry current) that are going into the cell?
Or does input resistance refer to both the inward and outward flow of ions?

Thanks in advance :)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for your question. Input resistance refers to the resistance that is encountered by ions as they enter the cell. This includes both inward and outward flow of ions. The input resistance is important because it determines the amount of current that can flow across the membrane. A higher input resistance means that fewer ions can enter the cell, resulting in a lower current flow. Conversely, a lower input resistance allows for more ions to enter the cell, resulting in a higher current flow. This concept is important in understanding how cells regulate their internal environment and how they respond to external stimuli. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of input resistance. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is input resistance?

Input resistance is a measure of how easily ions can flow into or out of a cell. It is a property of the cell membrane and determines the cell's responsiveness to electrical signals.

2. How is input resistance measured?

Input resistance is typically measured by applying a small voltage to the cell membrane and recording the resulting current. The ratio of voltage to current is the input resistance.

3. What is inward ion flow?

Inward ion flow refers to the movement of positively charged ions, such as sodium or calcium, into a cell. This can occur through ion channels in the cell membrane or through active transport mechanisms.

4. What is outward ion flow?

Outward ion flow refers to the movement of positively charged ions out of a cell. This can also occur through ion channels or active transport mechanisms, and is important for maintaining the cell's electrical balance.

5. How does input resistance affect a cell's function?

The input resistance of a cell determines its ability to respond to electrical signals and generate action potentials. A higher input resistance means the cell is less responsive, while a lower input resistance means the cell is more responsive. Input resistance is also important for regulating the flow of ions into and out of the cell, which can affect a variety of cellular processes.