Inserting a picture into a latex document

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of inserting a picture into a document using pdftexify and encountering a caption that cannot be removed. The person seeking help is new to Latex and is using winedt. The solution involves attaching a .tex file with a complete document that includes the graphicx package for jpg images. Without this package, Latex only accepts ps and eps images.
jimmycricket
I am trying to insert a picture into a document I am writing up but when I use pdftexify there seems to be a caption next to the image that I cannot remove. I am using winedt and am very new to Latex so bear that in mind. This is the operation I used:
\includegraphics[scale=2]{riemann sphere.jpg}

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you attach the .tex file for a complete (short) document that doesn't work properly? i.e something like
Code:
\documentclass{...}
\usepackage{...}
\begin{document}
\includegraphics[scale=2]{riemann sphere.jpg} 
\end{document}
Without that, we are guessing what the problem is - especially since you didn't tell us what the "caption" says.

You need the graphicx package for jpg images. I think without it, latex only accepts ps and eps?
Code:
\usepackage{graphicx}

1. How do I insert a picture into a latex document?

To insert a picture into a latex document, you can use the \includegraphics command. This command requires the graphicx package to be loaded in the preamble of your document. You can then specify the location of the image file and any desired formatting options.

2. Can I resize the picture once it is inserted?

Yes, you can resize the picture by using the \scalebox command. This command takes two arguments - the first being the scaling factor and the second being the object to be scaled. Alternatively, you can also use the \resizebox command which takes three arguments - the desired width, height, and the object to be resized.

3. What format should my picture be in?

The recommended format for pictures in latex documents is PDF, PNG, or JPEG. However, you can also use other formats such as EPS or SVG as long as you have the necessary packages installed to handle them.

4. How do I add a caption to my picture?

To add a caption to your picture, you can use the \caption command. This command should be placed after the \includegraphics command. You can also specify a label for the picture using the \label command, which can be useful for referencing the picture in your document.

5. Can I insert multiple pictures in one line?

Yes, you can insert multiple pictures in one line by using the \subfigure command. This command allows you to create a subfigure with its own caption and label. You can also use the \subfloat command to insert multiple pictures in a single figure, with a shared caption and label.