Installation of Electric Generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the installation of large electricity generators in a north-south direction and questions why this is the preferred direction. The conversation also mentions the possibility of other directions, such as east-west, and considers factors such as the Earth's magnetic field and the rotation of the Earth. There is no clear answer provided and it is suggested that it could be related to beliefs such as Vaastu-Shastra or Feng-Shui.
shazirkhan
i have a burning question which i need to be answered by anyone competent here...
i want to know that...
why large Electricity generators are installed in north to south direction? i have seen many power stations & they all have generators installed in north south why are they not mounted in a direction where the exciter may point to east & turbine toward west istead of north south?
or in other words...
Is there any specific direction for the generators to be installed?
why do i see all the generators installed in north south direction?
are all the generators installed in north south direction?
if it doesn't matter then why do i see all large electricity generators installed in N/S direction?{by large i mean more then 5 MW}
did you visited any Electricity generation company ever?
in which country do u live?
if you know the answer please do post.

Engineering news on Phys.org
shazirkhan said:
i have a burning question which i need to be answered by anyone competent here...
i want to know that...
why large Electricity generators are installed in north to south direction? i have seen many power stations & they all have generators installed in north south why are they not mounted in a direction where the exciter may point to east & turbine toward west istead of north south?
or in other words...
Is there any specific direction for the generators to be installed?
why do i see all the generators installed in north south direction?
are all the generators installed in north south direction?
if it doesn't matter then why do i see all large electricity generators installed in N/S direction?{by large i mean more then 5 MW}
did you visited any Electricity generation company ever?
in which country do u live?
if you know the answer please do post.

There is no requirement that I know of nor is there any technical reason I can think of as to them being installed that way. Generator sets are used on ships too and they change direction constantly.

CS

If the generators are mounted east to west, then the Earth's dc magnetic field may generate voltages and currents in the armature. This would be minimized if the armature pointed to magnetic (compass) north.

so whom should i believe?
answer no.1?
or answer no. 2?

I've never paid attention to what direction they are installed. I don't think it's a question of who is right and who is wrong. Obviously generators are installed on ships. Obviously (if you are telling the truth) a lot of generators are installed in specific direction. I can also tell you that at least some hydroelectric generators are installed vertically. I DON'T think it is magnetic though. I would be inclined to believe it is more of a gyroscopic thing with the rotation of the earth. Positioned in a certain direction there would not be the drag on the bearings while the Earth rotates.

Last edited:
shazirkhan said:

It might have something to do with Vaastu-Shastra or Feng- Shui! :biggrin:

1. How does an electric generator work?

An electric generator works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. This is done through the use of a rotating magnet inside a coil of wire, which creates an electric current. The mechanical energy can come from various sources, such as steam, hydropower, or wind.

2. What are the components of an electric generator?

The main components of an electric generator include a rotor (rotating magnet), a stator (stationary coil of wire), and a prime mover (source of mechanical energy). Other components may include a control panel, cooling system, and voltage regulator.

3. How do you install an electric generator?

The installation process for an electric generator will vary depending on the type and size of the generator, as well as the specific location. However, some general steps may include preparing the foundation, connecting the generator to the power source and transfer switch, and ensuring proper ventilation and safety measures.

4. What are the safety precautions for installing an electric generator?

When installing an electric generator, it is important to follow all safety precautions to avoid potential hazards. These may include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, ensuring proper grounding and wiring, and following all manufacturer instructions and local building codes.

5. How do you maintain an electric generator?

To maintain an electric generator, regular inspections and servicing are recommended. This may include checking and replacing oil and filters, testing the battery, and ensuring all connections and parts are in good condition. It is also important to have a backup plan in case of power outages or emergencies.