Installing an EOT crane in a factory (ceiling clearance issues)

In summary, the conversation discusses the pros and cons of installing an EOT crane in a factory with limited space. The crane has a capacity of 10 tons and a span of 27.6 meters, with plans to use four cranes for a 125-meter bay. However, the space limit in the factory is only 10.5 meters and there is a 9-meter steel post at the center of the factory that cannot be obstructed. Suggestions are made to consult an engineer and a specific company is recommended for further assistance. The main issue is the limited space between the topmost tip of the crane and the lowest tip of the factory structure, which is less than 50 mm. The possibility of moving or eliminating obstacles in
GANESH SHETTI
PROS AND CONS OF INSTALLING AN EOT CRANES IN A LIMITED SPACE FACTORY.
Capacity of the crane is 10 TON, SPAN is 27.6 meter, 4x10 Ton Cranes for 125 meter bay.
The space limit in the factory is 10.5 meters.
There is a 9 meter steel post at the center of the factory (part of a machine).
The crane and its hook should be above 9 meter. So that there is no obstruction whatsoever.

Now we can fit the crane in the factory. But the Space between the top most tip of the crane and lowest tip of the crane is less than 50 mm. Please advice

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I can think of more than 100 questions to ask about your factory. There may also be local laws and codes you must comply with.

You need a consulting engineer, not strangers on the internet.

There may be safety implications in any any direct answer to your question.

Likes jrmichler, Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
GANESH SHETTI said:
Please advice
Do you know about this website; http://www.eot-crane.com/
Ganesh Engineering Co, is a Manufacturer, supplier and exporter of EOT Crane, Double Girder EOT Crane, Single Girder EOT Crane etc.
Maybe they can answer your questions.

anorlunda said:
I can think of more than 100 questions to ask about your factory. There may also be local laws and codes you must comply with.

You need a consulting engineer, not strangers on the internet.

There may be safety implications in any any direct answer to your question.
Thank you for replying, It doesn't matter if i don't get the exact solution. The reason I post here is to get some random thoughts related to engineering problems from strangers who are good at physics. Its an open ended problem for you guys, any answer or reply is welcome.

GANESH SHETTI said:
But the Space between the top most tip of the crane and lowest tip of the crane is less than 50 mm.
Your dimensional specifications are impossible to follow. You know what you mean, I cannot guess what that means without a sketch diagram. If you do not clearly specify the problem then you will not get sensible answers.

You would do better to call a company that knows how to do it.
What company do you work for and what is your current position?

Baluncore said:
Your dimensional specifications are impossible to follow. You know what you mean, I cannot guess what that means without a sketch diagram. If you do not clearly specify the problem then you will not get sensible answers.

You would do better to call a company that knows how to do it.
What company do you work for and what is your current position?
Oops! My bad... Topmost tip of the crane to lowest tip of the factory ceiling/ structure is approx 50 mm. You can refer to the attachment for your kind reference. I am Training.

Attachments

• CRANE.pdf
    357.8 KB · Views: 356
Looks to me like this building in its current configuration is not a good candidate for a wall-to-wall gantry crane. What's the possibility of moving or eliminating the stuff in the way?

1. What is the minimum ceiling clearance required for installing an EOT crane in a factory?

The minimum ceiling clearance required for installing an EOT crane in a factory is typically 18 feet. However, this may vary depending on the specific crane model and the required lifting height.

2. Can an EOT crane be installed in a factory with a low ceiling?

It is possible to install an EOT crane in a factory with a low ceiling, but special considerations must be made. The crane may need to be modified to have a shorter height, or the factory may need to be renovated to increase the ceiling clearance.

3. How much space is needed around an EOT crane for installation?

The amount of space needed around an EOT crane for installation can vary, but typically at least 2-3 feet of clearance on all sides is required for safe operation. The specific requirements will depend on the crane model and the layout of the factory.

4. Are there any weight restrictions for the installation of an EOT crane?

Yes, there are weight restrictions for the installation of an EOT crane. The factory floor and structure must be able to support the weight of the crane and the loads it will be lifting. A structural engineer should be consulted to ensure the safety and stability of the crane installation.

5. What are the safety considerations when installing an EOT crane in a factory?

The safety considerations when installing an EOT crane in a factory include ensuring the structural stability of the crane and the factory, proper installation and maintenance of the crane components, and providing sufficient training for the operators and workers in the area. It is also important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations set by the manufacturer and relevant authorities.

Back