Instantaneous Power of Real Signals

• Thread starter CoolDude420
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, in communication theory and digital signal processing, the power signal is often represented as a squared version of the original signal, regardless of whether the signal is measured in terms of voltage or current. This allows for a proportional representation of the actual power, even when the signal is just a set of numbers.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

Hi,

So I'm taking a communications module and we are being introduced to Energy Signals and Power Signals. Now in the notes, it starts off the chapter by saying
"Suppose a signal x(t) is a real signal"
and then it says
The instantaneous power in x(t) is given by x^2(t)

This may be a stupid question. But how is the power in a signal given by it's square?? Up til now the only power I've encountered is power dissipated in a resistor : P=VI.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically the load resistance is constant so I think it goes...

P=VI
I=V/R (from Ohms law)
So..
P=V^2/R

it's because I isn't constant and depends on V.

In communication theory when one is interested in the power signal, they're really interested in a signal that is proportional to the actual power. So squaring the signal is sufficient to meet that criterion.

If the signal is represented in terms of voltage [itex] v(t) [/itex] then the power signal [itex] v^2(t) [/itex] is proportional to the actual power since [itex] P = V^2/R [/itex] for a constant [itex] R [/itex].

If the signal is represented in terms of current [itex] i(t) [/itex] then the power signal [itex] i^2(t) [/itex] is proportional to the actual power since [itex] P = I^2 R [/itex] for a constant [itex] R [/itex].

So it doesn't really matter in what form the signal is measured/represented. Just square it and you'll get power.

This same idea carries over into digital communication theory and digital signal processing. The signal you're working with might just be a bunch of numbers. For example, the data contained in a .WAV sound file. They're not in units of voltage or current; they're just numbers that represent the signal's amplitude. If you want the power signal just square all of those numbers.

Likes cnh1995

1. What is the definition of instantaneous power of real signals?

The instantaneous power of a real signal is the amount of energy that is being transmitted or consumed at a specific moment in time. It is a measure of the rate at which energy is being transferred in a given system.

2. How is instantaneous power calculated for a real signal?

Instantaneous power is calculated by multiplying the voltage and current at a specific point in time. This can be done by using Ohm's law, where power (P) is equal to voltage (V) times current (I), or P = V x I.

3. What is the significance of instantaneous power in real signal analysis?

Instantaneous power is important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of a real signal. It can provide insight into the efficiency of a system, the power requirements, and the potential for damage or overheating.

4. How does the instantaneous power of a real signal differ from average power?

The instantaneous power of a real signal is the power at a specific moment in time, while average power is the average amount of power over a period of time. Instantaneous power can vary greatly, while average power provides a more stable and consistent measure.

5. Can the instantaneous power of a real signal be negative?

Yes, the instantaneous power of a real signal can be negative. This occurs when the voltage and current are out of phase, meaning that they do not peak at the same time. In this case, the power is being transferred back to the source instead of being consumed by the system.