Instantaneous velocity calculation from position data

In summary, the conversation discusses the most correct way to calculate the instantaneous speed given position and related time data. The participants mention the use of differentiation and finite differences to approximate the derivative. They also note that the appropriate choice of finite difference method depends on the sampling points and the variation of velocity with time.
fog37
Hello Forum,
Given position and related time data, what is the most correct way to calculate the instantaneous speed? For example, given the data (x1, t1) , (x2, t2), (x3, t3) , (x4, t4), (x5, t5), is the instantaneous speed at time t3 given more correctly by

[tex] v(t_3) = \frac{(x_4-x_2)} {(t_4-t_2)} [/tex]
[tex] v(t_3) = \frac {(x3-x2) } {(t3-t2)} [/tex]
[tex] v(t_3) = \frac {(x4-x3)} {(t4-t3)} [/tex]

and why?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is impossible to give a general answer to your question.

Are you familiar with differentiation and, as a follow-on, finite differences?

Yes, differentiation is applicable when the position is given as a function of time. I will look into finite differences. My understanding is that there are different types of finite difference. I guess I will figure out which one is most appropriate for the calculation of the instantaneous speed. Any suggestion in the meantime?

Thanks

Differentiation is simply the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. It doesn't have to be position or velocity and it doesn't have to be with respect to time. In this case, you are interested in time rate of change, but derivatives are much more broadly applicable than that.

Anyway, you seem to have some sense of the relationship between derivatives and the quantity you want here. Assuming you understand that, then your next question should be about approximating derivatives when you have data at a discrete set of points in time. That is where finite differences come into play.

fog37 said:
I guess I will figure out which one is most appropriate for the calculation of the instantaneous speed.
My point is that you cannot say that one will be more appropriate than another. It depends on your sampling points as well as on how the velocity varies with time. I can come up with different situations where any of the given differences would be the best approximation.

Likes nasu

1. What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific point in time. It is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time at a single moment.

2. How is instantaneous velocity calculated?

Instantaneous velocity can be calculated by taking the derivative of an object's position function with respect to time. This means finding the slope of the tangent line to the object's position curve at a specific point in time.

3. Can instantaneous velocity be negative?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the chosen coordinate system.

4. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall velocity of an object over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity at a specific point in time and is calculated by taking the derivative of the position function.

5. How is instantaneous velocity used in real-world applications?

Instantaneous velocity is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. It can help in analyzing the motion of objects, predicting the position of objects at a specific time, and optimizing the performance of athletes in sports by examining their velocity at different points in time.