Instantanoeus axis of rotation

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance of the instantaneous centre of rotation from the centre of the rod, using the equations for impulse, torque, and change in angular momentum. The motion of the rod can be considered a pure rotation around the instantaneous axis, which is defined as the axis around which the rod rotates without any translation.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A uniform rod of length l is given an impulse at right angles to its length as shown. Find the distance of instantaneous centre of rotation from the centre of rod.
2dltzkm.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Impulse=change in momentum
or Impulse=mvCM (Am i right here?)

I am not sure about this but i think i need to conserve angular momentum. But how should i make the equation for initial angular momentum. Should it be mvCMx or mvCM(x+d), d is the distance of instantaneous centre of rotation of rod from the CM.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

A uniform rod of length l is given an impulse at right angles to its length as shown. Find the distance of instantaneous centre of rotation from the centre of rod.
2dltzkm.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Impulse=change in momentum
or Impulse=mvCM (Am i right here?)

Impulse is FΔt,force multiplied by its time of action. And it is equal to the change of momentum. So the equation mvCM=Impulse is right.
Pranav-Arora said:
I am not sure about this but i think i need to conserve angular momentum. But how should i make the equation for initial angular momentum. Should it be mvCMx or mvCM(x+d), d is the distance of instantaneous centre of rotation of rod from the CM.

The applied impulse also means torque for time Δt: τΔt=Impulse*(x+d) The applied torque changes the angular momentum. You can calculate both the torque and angular momentum with respect to the instantaneous axis, considering the motion of the rod a pure rotation. Use the relation between torque and change of angular momentum:τ =I(Δω)/(Δt).You know ω from the initial speed of the CM: The CM will move around the instantaneous axis with angular speed ω=vCM/d.

ehild

Thanks ehild for your reply! :smile:

ehild said:
The applied impulse also means torque for time Δt: τΔt=Impulse*(x+d) The applied torque changes the angular momentum. You can calculate both the torque and angular momentum with respect to the instantaneous axis, considering the motion of the rod a pure rotation. Use the relation between torque and change of angular momentum:τ =I(Δω)/(Δt).You know ω from the initial speed of the CM: The CM will move around the instantaneous axis with angular speed ω=vCM/d.

I have got the answer using the relations you posted but i still don't understand what do you mean by "pure rotation"?

How is the instantaneous axis defined?

See picture. It shows a rod moved from position 1 to position 2 and rotated by 90°. You can do it by translating the rod from 1 to 2 and then rotating about the CM, or by rotating the whole rod about the instantaneous axis O.

ehild

Attachments

• instaxis.JPG
    instaxis.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
ehild said:
How is the instantaneous axis defined?

See picture. It shows a rod moved from position 1 to position 2 and rotated by 90°. You can do it by translating the rod from 1 to 2 and then rotating about the CM, or by rotating the whole rod about the instantaneous axis O.

ehild

Thank you ehild for the explanation!

Related to Instantanoeus axis of rotation

What is the instantaneous axis of rotation?

The instantaneous axis of rotation is the imaginary line around which an object is rotating at a specific point in time. It is also known as the instantaneous center of rotation.

How is the instantaneous axis of rotation different from the fixed axis of rotation?

The fixed axis of rotation is a constant axis around which an object rotates, while the instantaneous axis of rotation changes as the object moves and rotates in space.

How is the instantaneous axis of rotation calculated?

The instantaneous axis of rotation can be calculated by finding the intersection of the perpendicular lines drawn from two different points on the rotating object's path of motion.

What is the significance of the instantaneous axis of rotation in physics?

The instantaneous axis of rotation helps in understanding the dynamics of rotational motion, such as the direction and speed of rotation, and the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity.

Can the instantaneous axis of rotation change during an object's motion?

Yes, the instantaneous axis of rotation can change as an object moves and rotates in space. It is constantly changing to coincide with the direction of motion and the axis of rotation of the object.