Instrumentation amplifier practical results vs simulation

In summary, the conversation is about a slight drop in gain in the practical results of a simulated instrumentation amplifier. The person is wondering what could be causing this and if the schematic and simulation are needed to answer the question. They also mention a previous circuit and discuss the possibility of resistor mismatch and DC offsets of the OpAmps affecting the gain.
nothing909
I just have a simple question to ask. I'm simulating an instrumentation amplifier and then testing it practically. When I simulate it, my gain is 6, but when I test it, I get a gain of 5.54. I'm just wondering what is causing the slight drop in gain in the practical results?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
nothing909 said:

Homework Statement

I just have a simple question to ask. I'm simulating an instrumentation amplifier and then testing it practically. When I simulate it, my gain is 6, but when I test it, I get a gain of 5.54. I'm just wondering what is causing the slight drop in gain in the practical results?
Can you post the schematic and simulation? And show how you are building and testing the circuit?

I've not got the schematic and simulation to show right now, it's just a basic 3 op amp instrumentation amplifier. do you need them to answer my question and if so, why?

i know the simulation results are ideal, but what factors in a practical test could cause the gain to drop a little?

nothing909 said:
I've not got the schematic and simulation to show right now, it's just a basic 3 op amp instrumentation amplifier. do you need them to answer my question and if so, why?

i know the simulation results are ideal, but what factors in a practical test could cause the gain to drop a little?
It's just a pretty big error, so I just wanted to see what you did.

Is it this circuit that you posted about over the weekend? https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/testing-instrumenation-amplifier.933232/

yea, that's the circuit.

even if that is a big error, the simulated gain would still be 6 and the practical gain would be slightly lower, why is this?

Probably the resistors are not exactly matched. Try swapping the R1 resistors and measuring, then swap the R2 and measure, and then the R3.

The table of values you show in Testing instrumenation amplifier indicates there may be some DC offsets of the OpAmps also involved.

edit: fixed spelling typo

Last edited:
Likes donpacino

1. What is the purpose of an instrumentation amplifier?

An instrumentation amplifier is a type of electronic circuit designed to amplify small signals from sensors or transducers, while rejecting any noise or interference. It is commonly used in precision measurement and data acquisition systems.

2. How does an instrumentation amplifier work?

An instrumentation amplifier consists of multiple operational amplifiers and precision resistors, arranged in a specific configuration. It amplifies the difference between two input signals, while rejecting any common-mode signals. The output is a high gain, high impedance signal that is suitable for further processing.

3. How do practical results of an instrumentation amplifier compare to simulation?

In theory, the practical results of an instrumentation amplifier should closely match the results of a simulation. However, there may be slight differences due to component tolerances, noise, and other environmental factors. It is important to calibrate and test the instrumentation amplifier in the actual application to ensure accurate results.

4. What factors can affect the performance of an instrumentation amplifier?

The performance of an instrumentation amplifier can be affected by various factors such as temperature, power supply voltage, component tolerances, and noise. It is important to carefully select and test the components to ensure optimal performance.

5. How can I troubleshoot any discrepancies between practical results and simulation?

If there are discrepancies between the practical results and simulation, it is important to first check for any errors in the circuit design or wiring. It may also be helpful to test the components individually and verify their specifications. Additionally, adjusting the gain and offset trimmer resistors can help fine-tune the performance of the instrumentation amplifier.