Inteference of light ray in thin flim

• Thread starter desmond iking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Ray
In summary, according to the notes in the photo, the light ray undergo of phase change of 0.5 λ when it strike and reflected from glass surface (denser) at point A. So the OPD of ray 1 & 2 = 2nt-0.5λ.. However, in the 2nd photo, the OPD of ray 1 & 2 is given by 2nt+0.5λ. I am not sure which one is correct. Can someone enlighten me on this?
desmond iking

Homework Statement

according to the notes in the photo, the light ray undergo of phase change of 0.5 λ when it strike and reflected from glass surface (denser) at point A . so the OPD of ray 1 &2 = 2nt-0.5λ..
but in the 2nd photo , the OPD of ray 1 & 2 is given by 2nt+0.5λ . i am not sure which one is correct. can someone enlighten me on this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20140831_234953[1].jpg
    IMG_20140831_234953[1].jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_20140831_235624[1].jpg
    IMG_20140831_235624[1].jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
Well well, you've really gone out of your way to make life easy for us poor helpers...

Now all we need is some relevant equations and your attempt at a solution, right ?

Sorry. I don't umderstand the situation so I hope someone can help me out on this.

Or should I post this problem in other section? Which section should I post?

desmond iking said:

Homework Statement

according to the notes in the photo, the light ray undergo of phase change of 0.5 λ when it strike and reflected from glass surface (denser) at point A . so the OPD of ray 1 &2 = 2nt-0.5λ..
but in the 2nd photo , the OPD of ray 1 & 2 is given by 2nt+0.5λ . i am not sure which one is correct. can someone enlighten me on this?

They are equivalent. The electric field changes to the opposite when reflected from the surface of a higher index material. The phase change can be taken either pi or -pi, all the same. (If you add pi or - pi to the argument of a sine function, you get the same: sin(x+pi) = sin(x) cos (pi) = -sin(x) and sin(x-pi)= sin(x)cos (-pi) = -sin(x) as cos(pi)=cos(-pi)=-1.) They correspond to optical path differences +λ/2 or -λ/2.
I would prefer 2nt+0.5 λ for the optical path difference, so as it is positive even with very thin layers.

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
ehild said:
They are equivalent. The electric field changes to the opposite when reflected from the surface of a higher index material. The phase change can be taken either pi or -pi, all the same. (If you add pi or - pi to the argument of a sine function, you get the same: sin(x+pi) = sin(x) cos (pi) = -sin(x) and sin(x-pi)= sin(x)cos (-pi) = -sin(x) as cos(pi)=cos(-pi)=-1.) They correspond to optical path differences +λ/2 or -λ/2.
I would prefer 2nt+0.5 λ for the optical path difference, so as it is positive even with very thin layers.

ehild

hi, please refer to the photo 2 . It is shown that the n start from 1 , but not 0 .
If the n start form 0 , the thickness surely will become negative value. which is indeed wrong.( from mathematical treatment)
I can't understand why the n can't be start from 1 from the physics theory. can you explain on this?

desmond iking said:

You asked if the OPD (optical path difference) can be written as 2nt-0.5λ or 2nt+0.5λ. In that context, n is the refractive index and t is the thickness of the layer.
If you use μ to denote the refractive index, you should write the OPD as 2μt-0.5λ.

If you mean the condition of constructive interference, the optical path difference should be integer multiple of λ, 2μt-0.5λ=kλ or 2μt=(k+0.5)λ, k=0, 1,2,...

In case the OPD is taken 2μt+0.5λ, the condition of constructive interference is 2μt=(k-0.5)λ, k=1,2,...ehild

ehild said:
If you mean the condition of constructive interference, the optical path difference should be integer multiple of λ, 2μt-0.5λ=kλ or 2μt=(k+0.5)λ, k=0, 1,2,...

In case the OPD is taken 2μt+0.5λ, the condition of constructive interference is 2μt=(k-0.5)λ, k=1,2,...

ehild
why for
2μt=(k-0.5)λ , the k starts from 1 but can't be 0 ? can you explain it using physics theory?

t, the layer thickness would be negative at k=0, which is impossible.

ehild

ehild said:
t, the layer thickness would be negative at k=0, which is impossible.

ehild

i knew this (from maths) , but can you explain in 'physics way' ?

Have you seen anything with negative thickness? For example how would a -0.2 m thick wall look like ?

ehild

Related to Inteference of light ray in thin flim

1. What is thin film interference?

Thin film interference is a phenomenon that occurs when a light ray passes through a thin film or layer of material, such as oil on water or a soap bubble. This results in the splitting and interference of the light, creating various colors and patterns.

2. How does the thickness of the film affect interference?

The thickness of the film is a crucial factor in thin film interference. The interference pattern created by the light depends on the difference in the optical path length between the two reflected rays. This difference is directly related to the thickness of the film.

3. What determines the colors seen in thin film interference?

The colors observed in thin film interference are determined by the wavelength of the incident light and the thickness of the film. This is because certain wavelengths of light will cancel each other out due to destructive interference, while others will reinforce and create visible colors.

4. Can thin film interference only occur with visible light?

No, thin film interference can occur with any type of electromagnetic radiation, including radio waves, microwaves, and X-rays. However, the visible colors are only observed because our eyes are sensitive to the wavelengths of light involved.

5. How is thin film interference used in practical applications?

Thin film interference is used in a variety of applications, such as anti-reflective coatings on glasses and camera lenses, optical filters, and in the production of holograms. It is also a fundamental principle in the technology used in computer monitors and smartphone screens.