Inteference Pattern Question

• Thread starter Sarah0001
  • Start date
In summary, when the loudspeaker is moving along the x direction instead of the screen, I understand that the phase of which the of the reflected wave meets the loudspeaker is changing, and so when the reflected wave interferes with waves behind the loudspeaker reaching microphase, the phase of the reflected wave meeting microphone also changes as L(loudspeaker moves). However I am slightly sceptical of this as I cannot visualise how the reflected waves phase changes as L moves towards the screen because surely the incident wave's phase would change too in order for the reflected waves phase to change?
Sarah0001
Homework Statement
A loudspeaker L is placed between a microphone M and a screen S reflecting
sound waves as sketched below. The loudspeaker emits sound of fixed wavelength
λ in all directions. When the screen is moving slowly, to the right along the
x direction (slowly in comparison with the speed of sound), the microphone
records minima and maxima of the sound intensity.

What is the distance between two screen positions giving two successive maxima? Would the
microphone record minima and maxima if
(a) the loudspeaker or
(b) the microphone is moving along x direction instead of the screen?
Relevant Equations
a) When the loudspeaker is moving along the x direction instead of the screen, I understand that the phase of which the of the reflected wave meets the loudspeaker is changing, and so when the reflected wave interferes with waves behind the loudspeaker reaching microphase, the phase of the reflected wave meeting microphone also changes as L(loudspeaker moves). However I am slightly sceptical of this as I cannot visualise how the reflected waves phase changes as L moves towards the screen because surely the incident wave's phase would change too in order for the reflected waves phase to change?
(Q1) Would it be possible to draw a diagram to visualise how the phase of the reflected wave (or both waves if infact phase of both waves) changes relative to loudspeaker, as the loudspeaker moves towards the screen?

(b) For B I understand there is a constant phase difference as the wave indicent to the screen and the reflected waves are not being shifted, but I don't understand how this means the Microphone will not record a maxima or minima.
Qimg.attached
234971-ad54c04e67a25a3d0cc30a2443cf54d7.png

Attachments

• 2019-10-25.png
    2019-10-25.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 191
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Did you answer
What is the distance between two screen positions giving two successive maxima?
?

for (a) I wouldn't worry about indirect or downstream interference : just look at the path difference of direct wave and reflected wave. Same for (b).

BvU said:
Hi,

Did you answer ?

for (a) I wouldn't worry about indirect or downstream interference : just look at the path difference of direct wave and reflected wave. Same for (b).
Yes, distance between adjacent maxima is lambda/2. Also, I don't understand how the path difference leads to the solution that it is (a) Yes and for (b) No for recording minimia and maxima, the solution given itself is in terms of changing phases, so I would like to understand the solution further.

If , when you move the speaker away from the microphone, the distance between microphone and speaker changes by +1 cm, what happens to the other path (speaker-screen-microphone) ? So what happens to the path difference ?

(b) Same question, but now move the microphone.

1. What is an interference pattern?

An interference pattern is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves of the same frequency overlap and interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of alternating bright and dark regions. This can be observed in various natural and man-made systems, such as water waves, sound waves, and light waves.

2. How is an interference pattern created?

An interference pattern is created when two or more waves of the same frequency and amplitude meet at a specific location. This can happen when the waves are emitted from different sources or when they reflect off of a surface. The resulting pattern is determined by the phase difference between the waves, which can either reinforce or cancel each other out.

3. What is the significance of interference patterns in science?

Interference patterns play a crucial role in understanding the wave nature of light and other types of waves. They have been used to study the properties of materials, such as their refractive index and thickness. They also have practical applications in technologies such as holography and optical communication.

4. Can interference patterns be observed in everyday life?

Yes, interference patterns can be observed in everyday life. For example, when sunlight passes through a soap bubble, an interference pattern can be seen due to the thin film of soap acting as a diffraction grating. Another common example is the colorful patterns seen on the surface of a CD or DVD, which are created by the interference of light reflected from the grooves on the disc.

5. How are interference patterns used in scientific experiments?

Interference patterns are used in various scientific experiments, particularly in the field of optics. They can be used to determine the wavelength of light, measure the thickness of transparent materials, and study the properties of diffraction gratings. They are also used in the double-slit experiment, which is a fundamental demonstration of the wave-particle duality of light.