Integer Solutions - Solve $a^2+b^2+c^2 + a + b+ c = 1$

• MHB
  • Thread starter kaliprasad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, integer solutions are whole number values of the variables (a, b, and c) that satisfy a given equation. To find these solutions, we can use techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. However, there is no guaranteed shortcut to finding integer solutions and it is best to try different methods. There can be multiple integer solutions to an equation, including infinite solutions, as long as the values of a, b, and c satisfy the equation and are also integers. Negative integers can also be used as solutions in some equations, so it is important to consider all possible values of the variables.
kaliprasad
Gold Member
MHB
Solve for integers $a,b,c$ given $a^2+b^2+c^2 + a + b+ c = 1$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
My solution:

Note that from the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and the formula $(a+b+c)^2=a^2+b^2+c^2+2(ab+bc+ca)$, we have the following inequality that always holds for all real $a,\,b$ and $c$:

\(\displaystyle a^2+b^2+c^2\ge ab+bc+ca\)

\(\displaystyle a^2+b^2+c^2\ge \frac{(a+b+c)^2}{3}\)(*)

But from the given equality, we know $a^2+b^2+c^2=1-(a+b+c)$. Replacing this relation into the inequality (*) and solve it for $a+b+c$, we see that we get:

\(\displaystyle 1-(a+b+c)\ge \frac{(a+b+c)^2}{3}\)

\(\displaystyle 3-3(a+b+c)\ge (a+b+c)^2\)

\(\displaystyle 0\ge (a+b+c)^2+3(a+b+c)-3\)

$-3\le a+b+c \le 0$

But observe that all of the following cases don't yield for integer solutions for the system:

$a+b+c=-3\cap a^2+b^2+c^2=4;\,a+b+c=-2\cap a^2+b^2+c^2=3$

$a+b+c=-1\cap a^2+b^2+c^2=2;\,a+b+c=0\cap a^2+b^2+c^2=1$

Therefore there are no such integer in $a,\,b$ and $c$ such that $a^2+b^2+c^2 + a + b+ c = 1$.
Thanks kaliprasad for posing challenge for us! I appreciate that!(Cool)

My solution:

\[a^2+b^2+c^2+a+b+c = \left ( a+\frac{1}{2} \right )^2+\left ( b+\frac{1}{2} \right )^2+\left ( c+\frac{1}{2} \right )^2-\frac{3}{4} = 1\]

\[\Rightarrow (2a+1)^2+(2b+1)^2+(2c+1)^2= 7\]

In order to show, that there are no possible integer solutions, both of the following arguments apply:I. The only perfect squares contained in $7$ are $1^2=1$ and $2^2=4$. Any triple combination (e.g. $1 + 1 + 4$) of them does not yield $7$. II. For any integer $n$: $(2n+1)^2 \in \left \{ 1,9,25,... \right \}$, leaving only one allowed perfect square, namely $1$, which yields the triple sum $3$.

lfdahl said:
My solution:

\[a^2+b^2+c^2+a+b+c = \left ( a+\frac{1}{2} \right )^2+\left ( b+\frac{1}{2} \right )^2+\left ( c+\frac{1}{2} \right )^2-\frac{3}{4} = 1\]

\[\Rightarrow (2a+1)^2+(2b+1)^2+(2c+1)^2= 7\]

In order to show, that there are no possible integer solutions, both of the following arguments apply:I. The only perfect squares contained in $7$ are $1^2=1$ and $2^2=4$. Any triple combination (e.g. $1 + 1 + 4$) of them does not yield $7$. II. For any integer $n$: $(2n+1)^2 \in \left \{ 1,9,25,... \right \}$, leaving only one allowed perfect square, namely $1$, which yields the triple sum $3$.

above solution is good and so also by anemone

mine is same as above except
taking mod 8 we have LHS = 3 and RHS = 7 and hence no solution

Related to Integer Solutions - Solve $a^2+b^2+c^2 + a + b+ c = 1$

1. What are integer solutions?

Integer solutions are values of the variables (a, b, and c) that satisfy the given equation and are also integers, which are whole numbers (positive, negative, or zero) without any fractions or decimals.

2. How do you solve for integer solutions?

To solve for integer solutions, we can use techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to find the values of the variables that make the given equation true. In this particular equation, we can use the fact that all the terms are squared to our advantage and try different combinations of integers until we find a solution.

3. Is there a shortcut to finding integer solutions?

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed shortcut to finding integer solutions. However, some equations may have patterns or special properties that can make finding solutions easier. It is always best to try different techniques and methods to find solutions.

4. Are there multiple integer solutions to this equation?

Yes, there can be multiple integer solutions to this equation. In fact, there can be infinite solutions, as long as the values of a, b, and c satisfy the equation and are also integers. This is because there are an infinite number of integers that can be squared and added together to equal 1.

5. Can we use negative integers as solutions?

Yes, negative integers can be used as solutions in this equation. In fact, some equations may only have negative integer solutions. It is important to consider all possible values of the variables when looking for integer solutions.