Integral Domains and GCDs

In summary, D&F discuss the notion of greatest common divisor in an arbitrary integral domain with field of fractions F. They mention that while in a Unique Factorization Domain, the GCD can always be factored out from a polynomial, in an arbitrary integral domain, this may not be the case. This can be seen in the example of the ring $\mathbb{Z}[2i]$, where two elements have common divisors but no greatest common divisor. Therefore, it is not always guaranteed that a GCD exists in an integral domain.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote Sections 9.3 Polynomial Rings that are UFDs.

I have a problem understanding what D&F say regarding GCDs on page 306 at the end of Section 9.3 (see attached)

D&F write:

======================================================================================

"we saw earlier that if R is a Unique Factorization Domain with field of fractions F and [TEX] p(x) \in R[x] [/TEX], then we can factor out the greatest common divisor d of the coefficients of p(x) to obtain p(x) = dp'(x) where p'(x) is irreducible in both R[x] and F[x]. Suppose now that R is an arbitrary integral domain with field of fractions F. In R the notion of greatest common divisor may not make sense, however, one might still ask if, say, a monic polynomial which is irreducible in R[x] is still irreducible in F[x] (i.e. whether the last statement in Corollary 6 is true). ... ...

=======================================================================================

My question is as follows: Why do D&F say "Suppose now that R is an arbitrary integral domain with field of fractions F. In R the notion of greatest common divisor may not make sense"? D&F's definition of GCD on page 274 (see attached) gives the definition for a GCD of two ring elements a and b for any commutative ring - and there are no conditions on the existence of the GCD - so why for an integral domain would we have a situation where the GCD does not make sense?

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a gcd between every two elements is only guarenteed in a euclidean domain.

To expand a bit on Poirot's answer, you can define a gcd for two elements in any commutative ring. But that does not mean that such a gcd actually exists. D&F give the example of the ring $\mathbb{Z}[2i]$, which is an integral domain but not a UFD. In that ring, the elements $8 = 2*4 = (2+2i)(2-2i)$ and $12+4i = 2(6+2i) = (2+2i)(4-2i)$ have the common divisors $2$ and $2+2i$. But neither of them is a multiple of $2(2+2i) = 4+4i$, so they do not have a greatest common divisor.

1. What is an integral domain?

An integral domain is a type of mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements with two operations, addition and multiplication. It is a commutative ring with no zero divisors, meaning that if the product of two elements is zero, then at least one of the elements must be zero. The most common example of an integral domain is the set of integers.

2. What is the role of GCDs in integral domains?

GCD, or greatest common divisor, is a concept used in integral domains to find the largest number that can divide evenly into a set of numbers. In integral domains, the GCD is used to determine if two elements are relatively prime, meaning they have no common factors other than 1. It is also used in algorithms, such as the Euclidean algorithm, for finding the inverse of an element in a field.

3. How do you find the GCD of two elements in an integral domain?

To find the GCD of two elements in an integral domain, you can use the Euclidean algorithm. This involves repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number and taking the remainder until the remainder is 0. The last nonzero remainder is the GCD of the two elements. Another method is to factor both elements and find the common factors, then multiply them together to get the GCD.

4. Can an integral domain have more than one GCD for a pair of elements?

No, an integral domain can have at most one GCD for a pair of elements. This is because integral domains have unique factorization, meaning every element can be written as a product of prime elements in only one way. Therefore, the GCD of two elements will also be unique.

5. How are integral domains related to fields?

Integral domains are a generalization of fields, meaning that all fields are integral domains, but not all integral domains are fields. The main difference between the two is that fields have multiplicative inverses for all nonzero elements, while integral domains do not necessarily have multiplicative inverses for all elements. In other words, fields have division, while integral domains may not.