Integral involving fractional part.

In summary: But I am doing the same thing with $bx$, so why wouldn't I just get the fractional part of $\frac ra +...$ again? The answer is that the $t$ in $x = \frac r{15} + t$ is not the same for both $ax$ and $bx$. In this example, $$5x = 5\bigl(\tfrac7{15} + t\bigr) = \tfrac{35}{15} + 5t = \tfrac73 + 5t = 1 + \tfrac25 + 5t.$$ The fractional part of that is $\frac25 + 5t$ (because $0\leqslant t
mathisfun1
View attachment 3249

I started with taking three cases,
1. a=b
since a and b are co primes, both will have to be equal to 1 and then we can easily get lhs = rhs.
2. a>b
3.a<b
I have no idea as to how to proceed for the second and third cases. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 82
Physics news on Phys.org
Divide the unit interval into $ab$ subintervals $\bigl[\frac r{ab},\,\frac{r+1}{ab}\bigr]$ of length $\frac1{ab}$, for $0\leqslant r <ab.$ In each subinterval, $x = \frac r{ab} + t$ (where $0\leqslant t\leqslant \frac1{ab}$), and $ax = \frac rb + at$. Thus $\{ax\} = \bigl\{ \frac rb \bigr\} + at = \frac kb + at$ for some $k$ with $0\leqslant k <b.$ Similarly, $\{bx\} = \bigl\{ \frac ra \bigr\} + bt = \frac la + bt$ for some $l$ with $0\leqslant l <a.$

You then need to show that as $r$ goes from $0$ to $ab-1$, each of the possible values of the pair $k,\: l$ (with $0\leqslant k <b,\ 0\leqslant l <a$) occurs exactly once. To prove that, you will need to use the fact that $a$ and $b$ are relatively prime.

It will then follow that $$\begin{aligned} \int_0^1\bigl(\{ax\} - \tfrac12\bigr) \bigl(\{bx\} - \tfrac12\bigr) &= \sum_{k=0}^{b-1} \sum_{l=0}^{a-1} \int_0^{1/(ab)} \bigl(at + \tfrac kb -\tfrac12\bigr) \bigl(bt + \tfrac la -\tfrac12\bigr) dt \\ &=\int_0^{1/(ab)} \sum_{k=0}^{b-1}\bigl(at + \tfrac kb -\tfrac12\bigr) \sum_{l=0}^{a-1}\bigl(bt + \tfrac la -\tfrac12\bigr) dt \\ &= \int_0^{1/(ab)} \bigl(abt + \tfrac 12(b-1) -\tfrac12b\bigr) \bigl(abt + \tfrac 12(a-1) -\tfrac12a\bigr)dt \\ &= \int_0^{1/(ab)} \bigl(abt - \tfrac 12\bigr)^2dt \\ &= \Bigl[\tfrac1{3ab}\bigl(abt - \tfrac 12\bigr)^3 \Bigr]_0^{1/(ab)} \\ &= \tfrac1{3ab} \bigl(\tfrac18 + \tfrac18\bigr) = \tfrac1{12ab}. \end{aligned}$$

Opalg said:
Divide the unit interval into $ab$ subintervals $\bigl[\frac r{ab},\,\frac{r+1}{ab}\bigr]$ of length $\frac1{ab}$, for $0\leqslant r <ab.$ In each subinterval, $x = \frac r{ab} + t$ (where $0\leqslant t\leqslant \frac1{ab}$), and $ax = \frac rb + at$. Thus $\{ax\} = \bigl\{ \frac rb \bigr\} + at = \frac kb + at$ for some $k$ with $0\leqslant k <b.$ Similarly, $\{bx\} = \bigl\{ \frac ra \bigr\} + bt = \frac la + bt$ for some $l$ with $0\leqslant l <a.$

You then need to show that as $r$ goes from $0$ to $ab-1$, each of the possible values of the pair $k,\: l$ (with $0\leqslant k <b,\ 0\leqslant l <a$) occurs exactly once. To prove that, you will need to use the fact that $a$ and $b$ are relatively prime.

It will then follow that $$\begin{aligned} \int_0^1\bigl(\{ax\} - \tfrac12\bigr) \bigl(\{bx\} - \tfrac12\bigr) &= \sum_{k=0}^{b-1} \sum_{l=0}^{a-1} \int_0^{1/(ab)} \bigl(at + \tfrac kb -\tfrac12\bigr) \bigl(bt + \tfrac la -\tfrac12\bigr) dt \\ &=\int_0^{1/(ab)} \sum_{k=0}^{b-1}\bigl(at + \tfrac kb -\tfrac12\bigr) \sum_{l=0}^{a-1}\bigl(bt + \tfrac la -\tfrac12\bigr) dt \\ &= \int_0^{1/(ab)} \bigl(abt + \tfrac 12(b-1) -\tfrac12b\bigr) \bigl(abt + \tfrac 12(a-1) -\tfrac12a\bigr)dt \\ &= \int_0^{1/(ab)} \bigl(abt - \tfrac 12\bigr)^2dt \\ &= \Bigl[\tfrac1{3ab}\bigl(abt - \tfrac 12\bigr)^3 \Bigr]_0^{1/(ab)} \\ &= \tfrac1{3ab} \bigl(\tfrac18 + \tfrac18\bigr) = \tfrac1{12ab}. \end{aligned}$$

I am much thankful for your reply.
However, I am unable to understand how fractional part of ax=fractional part of r/b + at.
Also, although I am studying advanced calculus (Relative to XIIth standard, that is I am in XIIth standard but studying a bt ahead for competitive exams, we have never been taught something like this. Maybe, there's another way to do this? I am sure my maths teacher would never give us a question that he had not taught us.

mathisfun said:
I am much thankful for your reply.
However, I am unable to understand how fractional part of ax=fractional part of r/b + at.
Also, although I am studying advanced calculus (Relative to XIIth standard, that is I am in XIIth standard but studying a bt ahead for competitive exams, we have never been taught something like this. Maybe, there's another way to do this? I am sure my maths teacher would never give us a question that he had not taught us.
There may be a simpler way to do this, but I don't see how. Maybe someone else here can help?

To get an idea of what is involved in this problem, I found it helpful to look at a simple particular case. Suppose for example that $a=3$ and $b=5$. Then to calculate the integral \(\displaystyle \int_0^1\bigl(\{3x\} - \tfrac12\bigr) \bigl(\{5x\} - \tfrac12\bigr)dx\) I divided the unit interval into subintervals of length $\frac1{15}$. If you put $x = \frac r{15} + t$ and take $r=7$, say, then you are looking at the subinterval $\bigl[\frac7{15},\frac8{15}\bigr]$. In that interval, $$3x = 3\bigl(\tfrac7{15} + t\bigr) = \tfrac{21}{15} + 3t = \tfrac75 + 3t = 1 + \tfrac25 + 3t.$$ The fractional part of that is $\frac25 + 3t$ (because $0\leqslant t \leqslant \frac1{15}$ and therefore $\frac25\leqslant \frac25 + 3t \leqslant \frac35$). That illustrates why the fractional part of $ax$ is the fractional part of $\frac rb + at$.

Opalg said:
There may be a simpler way to do this, but I don't see how. Maybe someone else here can help?

To get an idea of what is involved in this problem, I found it helpful to look at a simple particular case. Suppose for example that $a=3$ and $b=5$. Then to calculate the integral \(\displaystyle \int_0^1\bigl(\{3x\} - \tfrac12\bigr) \bigl(\{5x\} - \tfrac12\bigr)dx\) I divided the unit interval into subintervals of length $\frac1{15}$. If you put $x = \frac r{15} + t$ and take $r=7$, say, then you are looking at the subinterval $\bigl[\frac7{15},\frac8{15}\bigr]$. In that interval, $$3x = 3\bigl(\tfrac7{15} + t\bigr) = \tfrac{21}{15} + 3t = \tfrac75 + 3t = 1 + \tfrac25 + 3t.$$ The fractional part of that is $\frac25 + 3t$ (because $0\leqslant t \leqslant \frac1{15}$ and therefore $\frac25\leqslant \frac25 + 3t \leqslant \frac35$). That illustrates why the fractional part of $ax$ is the fractional part of $\frac rb + at$.

Sorry for getting back to you so late, got caught up in school work.
Let's just say for some case, r/b=1.7 and at=0.4
then frac (ax) will be 0.7+0.4=1.1
which is not possible.
I tried a few cases taking different values of a and b and concluded that this will never happen the sum will always be less than one and thus fac(ax) can be correctly written as frac(r/b)+at.
But is there any mathematical way to say this?

mathisfun said:
Sorry for getting back to you so late, got caught up in school work.
Let's just say for some case, r/b=1.7 and at=0.4
then frac (ax) will be 0.7+0.4=1.1
which is not possible.
I tried a few cases taking different values of a and b and concluded that this will never happen the sum will always be less than one and thus fac(ax) can be correctly written as frac(r/b)+at.
But is there any mathematical way to say this?
Going back to my first comment above, the situation is that for each integer $r$ with $0\leqslant r<ab$, we define $\bigl\{\frac rb \bigr\} = \frac kb$ and $\bigl\{\frac ra \bigr\} = \frac la$. It then follows that $0\leqslant k<b$ and $0\leqslant l<a$. Notice that there are $ab$ possible values of $r$, and there are also $ab$ possible values for the pair $(k,l).$

Now suppose that there are two values of $r$, call them $r$ and $s$, giving rise to the same pair $(k,l)$. In other words $\bigl\{\frac rb \bigr\} =\bigl\{\frac sb \bigr\} =\frac kb$ and $\bigl\{\frac ra \bigr\} =\bigl\{\frac sa \bigr\} =\frac la$. Then the fractional part of $\frac{s-r}b$ is $0$. Therefore $s-r$ is a multiple of $b$. Similarly, $s-r$ is a multiple of $a$. But because $a$ and $b$ are coprime, that implies that $s-r$ is a multiple of $ab$. But both $r$ and $s$ are less than $ab$, so it follows that $s-r=0$, in other words $s=r$.

That says that each value of $r$ corresponds to a different value of the pair $(k,l)$. It then follows from the pigeonhole principle that each possible value of $(k,l)$ must correspond to some value of $r$.

If you know a bit of number theory, there is an alternative way to phrase the same argument. The condition $\bigl\{\frac rb \bigr\} = \frac kb$ is equivalent to $r\equiv k\pmod b$, and similarly $\bigl\{\frac ra \bigr\} = \frac la$ is equivalent to $r\equiv l\pmod a$. Because $a$ and $b$ are coprime, it then follows from the Chinese remainder theorem that $r$ is uniquely determined modulo $ab$.

Related to Integral involving fractional part.

1. What is an integral involving fractional part?

An integral involving fractional part is a mathematical expression that involves the fractional part function, denoted by {x}, where {x} is the decimal part of a real number x. It is used to calculate the area under a curve that is bounded by the x-axis and a given function.

2. How is an integral involving fractional part evaluated?

An integral involving fractional part can be evaluated using the formula ∫{x}dx = x - ⌊x⌋, where ⌊x⌋ represents the greatest integer less than or equal to x. This formula is derived from the definition of the fractional part function.

3. What are the applications of integrals involving fractional part?

Integrals involving fractional part have various applications in mathematics and engineering. They are used to solve problems related to areas, volumes, and probability. They are also used in signal processing and data analysis.

4. Can integrals involving fractional part be solved using integration by parts?

Yes, integrals involving fractional part can be solved using integration by parts. The formula for integration by parts, ∫u(x)v'(x)dx = u(x)v(x) - ∫v(x)u'(x)dx, can be applied to integrals involving fractional part by considering {x} as u(x) and x as v'(x).

5. Are there any special properties of integrals involving fractional part?

Yes, integrals involving fractional part have some interesting properties. For example, they are periodic functions with period 1, meaning that their values repeat every 1 unit on the x-axis. They are also continuous and differentiable everywhere except at integer values of x, where they have a jump discontinuity.