Integral Partitions and Infimum

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the integral of a function that is equal to 0 at every rational number within a given interval is also equal to 0. The proof involves showing that the lower and upper sums of any partition must contain 0, which can be done using a definition of integrability that avoids the use of supremums and infimums. This definition states that a function is integrable if, for any small number epsilon, there exists a small enough interval delta such that the difference between the summation and the integral is less than epsilon.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! :)
I am looking at the following exercise:
Let $f:[a,b] \to \mathbb{R}$ integrable at $[a,b]$,such that $f(r)=0$,for each rational number $r \in [a,b]$.Prove that $\int_a^b f(x) dx=0$.
We suppose the partition $P=\{ a=t_0<t_1<...<t_n=b\}$ of $[a,b]$
$\underline{\int_{a}^{b}} f(x)dx=sup \{ L(f,P): P $ $\text{ partition of } [a,b]\}$
$L(f,P)=\Sigma_{k=0}^{n-1}(t_{k+1}-t_{k}) \cdot inf f([t_k,t_{k+1}])$.
Why is $ inf f([t_k,t_{k+1}])$ equal to $0$?Is it because of the fact that,if,for example it was $-1$ ,the lower integral couldn't be equal to the upper integral,since $f(r)=0>-1$??

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: inf f=0,why?

evinda said:
Hi! :)
I am looking at the following exercise:
Let $f:[a,b] \to \mathbb{R}$ integrable at $[a,b]$,such that $f(r)=0$,for each rational number $r \in [a,b]$.Prove that $\int_a^b f(x) dx=0$.
We suppose the partition $P=\{ a=t_0<t_1<...<t_n=b\}$ of $[a,b]$
$\underline{\int_{a}^{b}} f(x)dx=sup \{ L(f,P): P $ $\text{ partition of } [a,b]\}$
$L(f,P)=\Sigma_{k=0}^{n-1}(t_{k+1}-t_{k}) \cdot inf f([t_k,t_{k+1}])$.
Why is $ inf f([t_k,t_{k+1}])$ equal to $0$?Is it because of the fact that,if,for example it was $-1$ ,the lower integral couldn't be equal to the upper integral,since $f(r)=0>-1$??
$ \inf f([t_k,t_{k+1}])$ need not be equal to $0$. But what you can say is that $0$ must lie between $ \inf f([t_k,t_{k+1}])$ and $ \sup f([t_k,t_{k+1}])$. Use that to show that $0$ must lie between the lower and upper sums of any partition.

There is another way of defining what it means to be integrable that avoids the use of supremums and infimums. This was Riemann's original definition which turns out being equivalent to the definition you do in advanced calculus.

Definition: Let $f$ be a real-valued function (of a real variable) defined on the interval $[a,b]$. We say that $f$ is integrable on $[a,b]$ if there exists a number $I$ such that for every $\varepsilon >$ there is a $\delta > 0$ such that for any partition $P = \{ x_0,x_1,...,x_n\}$ of $[a,b]$ with $|| P || < \delta$ we have:
$$ \left| \sum_{k=1}^n f(t_k) (x_k - x_{k-1}) - I \right| < \varepsilon $$
Where $t_k \in [x_{k-1},x_k]$ and $||P||$ is defined by $|| P || = \max_k (x_k - x_{k-1})$.
This number $I$, if it exists, it must be unique, and is called the "integral" of $f$ on $[a,b]$.

What I like about this definition is that it is shorter than the one you are used to. Now using this definition solving your problem is not hard. We want to show that $I = 0$ where $f$ has the property that $f(r) = 0$ for every rational $r\in [a,b]$. So pick any $\varepsilon > 0$, we know there is a $\delta > 0$ such that for all $P$ with $||P||$ the inequality above holds. Since the rational numbers are dense we can pick $r\in [x_{k-1},x_k]$ so that $f(r) = 0$. Thus, the summation has value equal to $0$, it follows from here that $|I| < \varepsilon$ for every $\varepsilon > 0$. Hence, $I = 0$.

Opalg said:
$ \inf f([t_k,t_{k+1}])$ need not be equal to $0$. But what you can say is that $0$ must lie between $ \inf f([t_k,t_{k+1}])$ and $ \sup f([t_k,t_{k+1}])$. Use that to show that $0$ must lie between the lower and upper sums of any partition.

Why must $0$ lie between $ \inf f([t_k,t_{k+1}])$ and $ \sup f([t_k,t_{k+1}])$ ?I haven't understood it yet... (Wondering)(Thinking)

Hi there! It's great to see that you're working on this exercise and thinking about the concepts of integral partitions and infimum. You are on the right track with your reasoning.

To answer your question, the reason why $inf f([t_k,t_{k+1}])$ is equal to $0$ is because of the given condition that $f(r)=0$ for all rational numbers $r \in [a,b]$. This means that for any interval $[t_k,t_{k+1}]$, the infimum of $f$ over that interval must be $0$, since there exists at least one rational number within that interval where $f$ is equal to $0$.

As you mentioned, if the infimum were anything other than $0$, then the lower integral would not equal the upper integral, which goes against the definition of the integral. This is because the integral represents the area under the curve, and since $f(r)=0$ for all $r \in [a,b]$, the area under the curve must also be equal to $0$.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep up the good work!

1. What is an integral partition?

An integral partition is a way of dividing a given interval into smaller subintervals, such that the sum of the lengths of these subintervals is equal to the length of the original interval. This concept is often used in calculus and analysis to approximate the area under a curve.

2. How is the infimum related to integral partitions?

The infimum is the greatest lower bound of a set of numbers. In the context of integral partitions, the infimum is often used to find the minimum value of a function over a given interval. It can also be used to determine the smallest possible value of the sum of the lengths of the subintervals in an integral partition.

3. What is the significance of integral partitions and infimum in mathematics?

Integral partitions and infimum are important concepts in mathematical analysis, as they allow us to approximate and calculate certain quantities, such as areas and volumes, using a discrete set of values. They also play a crucial role in the development of the Riemann integral, which is used to compute the area under a curve.

4. Can integral partitions and infimum be applied in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, integral partitions and infimum can be applied in various fields, such as economics, physics, and computer science. In economics, they can be used to model and analyze consumer behavior. In physics, they can help in calculating the energy of a system. In computer science, they have applications in optimization and data analysis.

5. What are some common techniques used to find the infimum in integral partitions?

There are several techniques used to find the infimum in integral partitions, including the Darboux integral, Riemann sums, and the partition refinement method. These techniques involve dividing the interval into smaller subintervals and then finding the minimum value of the function within each subinterval. The infimum is then obtained by taking the minimum value from all the subintervals.