Integral with Exponential Integral Function

• B
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, to evaluate the integral, you need to find the exponential function ##E_1(.)## and use the power rule to calculate the derivative.
EngWiPy
Hi all,

I have this integral:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}\nu^{n}e^{-j\nu[y+n]}\left[E_1(-j\nu)\right]^n\,d\nu[/tex]

How can I evaluate this integral? I found the attached integral formula in the table of integrals, but the exponential integral function ##E_1(.)## is not raised to the power of an exponent ##n\ge 0##. Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Eq1.png
    Eq1.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 441
Likes zaidalyafey
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, to find an exact answer seems hard! especially for every ##n##. I suggest you to try with a math software as Mathematica or use some approximation of ##E_{1}(x)## as the following:

## E_{1}(x)=\int_{x}^{+\infty}\frac{e^{-t}}{t}dt \sim e^{-x}\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}(-1)^{n}\frac{n!}{x^{n+1}}##

that is a good approximation for ##x\rightarrow +\infty##.

Ssnow said:
Hi, to find an exact answer seems hard! especially for every ##n##. I suggest you to try with a math software as Mathematica or use some approximation of ##E_{1}(x)## as the following:

## E_{1}(x)=\int_{x}^{+\infty}\frac{e^{-t}}{t}dt \sim e^{-x}\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}(-1)^{n}\frac{n!}{x^{n+1}}##

that is a good approximation for ##x\rightarrow +\infty##.

I could use numerical integration I guess, but this isn't the final result in my analysis. The infinite series approximation is still problematic as it's raised to the power and its upper limit is infinite.

Well, I suggest you use integration by parts since

$$\frac {\partial }{\partial x} E(-xy)^n =-n\frac {e^{xy}}{x} E(-xy)^{n-1} $$

I think it is easy for small values of n. Try to generalize it.

zaidalyafey said:
Well, I suggest you use integration by parts since

$$\frac {\partial }{\partial x} E(-xy)^n =-n\frac {e^{xy}}{x} E(-xy)^{n-1} $$

I think it is easy for small values of n. Try to generalize it.

Thanks. Do you have a resource for this formula?

S_David said:
Thanks. Do you have a resource for this formula?

It is a simple differentiation of power

$$\frac {d}{dx}[g (x)]^n = n g'(x) [g (x)]^{n-1}$$

Likes EngWiPy
zaidalyafey said:
It is a simple differentiation of power

$$\frac {d}{dx}[g (x)]^n = n g'(x) [g (x)]^{n-1}$$

Right. But how to differentiate ##E_1(-j\nu)##. I know that

[tex]E_1(-j\nu)=\int_1^{\infty}\frac{e^{j\nu t}}{t}\,dt[/tex].

This means that
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \nu}E_1(-j\nu)=\int_1^{\infty}\frac{\partial}{\partial \nu} \frac{e^{j\nu t}}{t}\,dt=j\int_1^{\infty}e^{j\nu t}\,dt[/tex]

Right? How did you get your expression?

Thanks

Am I right in this or not?

hhmmm, it is convenient to have the integral in the form ##E_{1}(-j\nu)=\int_{-j\nu}^{+\infty}\frac{e^{-t}}{t}dt## so you can apply the fundament theorem of calculus when you derive respect ##\nu##...
To be precise it is better take the limit:

##\lim_{b\rightarrow +\infty}\frac{\partial}{\partial\nu}\int_{-j\nu}^{b}\frac{e^{-t}}{t}dt =... ##

Likes zaidalyafey and EngWiPy
Yes as Ssnow suggested. Can you try sovle the integral for n=2 ?

Sorry I for the late response I was travelling.

Last edited:

1. How do I find the antiderivative of a function?

The antiderivative of a function is the reverse process of finding the derivative. To find the antiderivative, use integration rules and techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions.

2. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus states that the definite integral of a function can be evaluated by finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration.

3. How do I use integration to solve real-world problems?

Integration is used in various fields of science and engineering to solve problems involving rates of change, areas, volumes, and other physical quantities. To use integration in real-world problems, first, identify the quantity to be measured and determine the appropriate integral to represent it.

4. What is numerical integration?

Numerical integration is a method of approximating the value of a definite integral by dividing the integral into smaller subintervals and using numerical techniques to calculate the area under the curve.

5. How can I check if my answer to an integral is correct?

To check if your answer to an integral is correct, differentiate the antiderivative you have found. If the result is the original function, then your answer is correct. You can also use online integration calculators or graphing tools to verify your answer.