Integrating challenge I am having

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions regarding integration of equations. The first question involves integrating e^-x^2 with a solution of √π. The second question involves integrating xe^-x^2 over the entire number line, with a solution of 0 due to the symmetry of the curve. The conversation also mentions the use of substitution to solve for the result.
terp.asessed
Hi, I am doing an exercise practice samples for the upcoming quiz, and stumbled across two questions I'm having trouble solving...

First question is to integrate integral e-x2 dx ...where the solution is equal to pi1/2

Also...

As for the second question (of a different equation) how can one solve for the result when I integrated an equation (another example) and got a x*e-x2 = ?, where x = -infinite to x = infinite? The answer is 0, but I don't know how to get there.

If anyone could explain, I'd appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first problem:$$\int e^{-x^2}\;dx$$... where the solution is ##\sqrt{\pi}## ?
Did you miss out the limits of the integration?
Over the entire number line, this is called "the Gaussian Integral".
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral

For the other one: $$\int_{-\infty}^\infty xe^{-x^2}\; dx = 0 $$ ...you should be able to tell that is true by looking at the symmetry, but you may prefer to use a substitution.
What have you tried?

Hello, thank you for hints--I just realized I made a mistake in my substitution. I got 0--and yes, since the area under the one curve is + and the other -, altogether, they become 0.

Related to Integrating challenge I am having

1. What is the definition of "Integrating challenge"?

Integrating challenge refers to the process of incorporating new information or ideas into one's existing knowledge or practices. It can also refer to the difficulties one may face in successfully merging different systems or processes together.

2. How do you identify an integrating challenge?

Integrating challenges can be identified by analyzing the points of disconnect or friction between different systems or processes. It can also be recognized when there is a lack of smooth flow or compatibility between different components.

3. What are some common examples of integrating challenges in science?

Some common examples of integrating challenges in science include merging data from different sources, integrating different software or technology systems, and incorporating new scientific theories into existing models or frameworks.

4. What are some strategies for overcoming an integrating challenge?

Some strategies for overcoming an integrating challenge include identifying the root cause of the challenge, communicating effectively with all parties involved, and utilizing problem-solving techniques such as brainstorming and experimentation.

5. How can integrating challenges lead to scientific advancements?

Integrating challenges can lead to scientific advancements by promoting collaboration, critical thinking, and innovation. When faced with an integrating challenge, scientists are forced to think creatively and find new ways to merge different ideas and systems, often resulting in groundbreaking discoveries and advancements.