Integration by Parts: Where Did I Go Wrong?

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with a specific math problem involving integration by parts. They provide their attempt at solving it and ask for help in identifying where they went wrong. Another user points out a mistake and the student corrects it, ultimately arriving at the correct solution.
stripes

Homework Statement

Gosh I've been asking a lot of questions lately...anyways...

I tried this question two separate times and couldn't manage to figure out where i went wrong...

[tex]\int e^{-x}cos2x dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] uv - \int v du = \int u dvdx
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

let [itex]u = e^{-x}[/itex] and [itex]dv = cos2x dx[/itex]
so [itex]du = -e^{-x}[/itex] and [itex]v = \frac{1}{2}sin2x[/itex]

[tex]\int e^{-x}cos2x dx = \frac{1}{2}e^{-x}sin2x + \frac{1}{2}\int e^{-x}sin2x dx[/tex]

use integration by parts again, this time let [itex]u = e^{-x}[/itex] and [itex]dv = sin2x dx[/itex] so [itex]du = -e^{-x}[/itex] and [itex]v = \frac{-1}{2}cos2x[/itex]

so now we have:

[tex]\int e^{-x}cos2x dx = \frac{1}{2}e^{-x}sin2x - \frac{1}{2}e^{-x}cos2x - \frac{1}{2}\int e^{-x}cos2x dx[/tex]

bring the [itex]\frac{1}{2}\int e^{-x}cos2x dx[/itex] to the LHS and solve for the integral.

[tex]\frac{3}{2}\int e^{-x}cos2x dx = \frac{1}{2}e^{-x}sin2x - \frac{1}{2}e^{-x}cos2x[/tex]

so finally:

[tex]\int e^{-x}cos2x dx = \frac{1}{3}e^{-x}(sin2x - cos2x)[/tex]

which is incorrect... at which step did I go wrong?

thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot a factor 1/2 the second time you used integration by parts.

Likes milkism
ahh, in which case i would get

[tex]
\int e^{-x}cos2x dx = \frac{1}{5}e^{-x}(2sin2x - cos2x)
[/tex]

thanks for pointing out my silly mistake...I have one more question that i will post up in a few minutes, this assignment is really killing me. Thanks again cyosis.

stripes said:
ahh, in which case i would get

[tex]
\int e^{-x}cos2x dx = \frac{1}{5}e^{-x}(2sin2x - cos2x)
[/tex]
Plus the constant of integration.

Related to Integration by Parts: Where Did I Go Wrong?

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a mathematical method used to evaluate integrals of functions that are products of two other functions.

When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integrand (the function inside the integral) cannot be easily integrated by other methods, such as substitution or the power rule.

How does integration by parts work?

Integration by parts involves using the product rule from differentiation to rewrite the original integral as a new integral that is hopefully easier to solve. This method involves choosing one function to differentiate and another function to integrate.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions chosen and du and dv are their derivatives. This formula can be remembered using the acronym "LIATE" - logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, exponential - to determine which function should be chosen for u.

What are some common applications of integration by parts?

Integration by parts is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to solve problems involving motion, work, and energy. It is also used in probability and statistics to find expected values and in economics to calculate marginal costs and revenues.